My honey gourami has some gill issues

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by 42wallabyway, Aug 1, 2015.

1. 42wallabyway

42wallabyway New Member Member

I noticed probably about a week ago my honey gourami had some white discharge around his gills. Thinking it was a parasite or bacteria I started putting Melafix in my tank. I later heard that, that product is not good for gouramis so I've stopped using it. Now his gills are super red and it almost looks like something is eating away at them. He also seems paler than normal. Anyone have any ideas ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't look like your tank is cycled. He seems to be suffering from ammonia poisoning from the looks of it. Do you have a test kit to check water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

I posted a thumbnail with my test results (not sure if it should up as I'm using my phone to post this) but it looks like pH is around 7.6, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 0, and nitrate around 5.0 ppm. I just did a 25% water change today

4. Dom90

What water conditioner do you use? I'm gonna suggest getting a bottle of Seachem Stability at a fish store or Petco/Petsmart so you can quickly reestablish your bio filter.

5. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

I've been using tetra easy balance and Aqua safe plus

6. Dom90

Not really familiar with Tetra water conditioners, does it state that it detoxifies ammonia and/or nitrite before they can be metabolized by BBs?

7. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

The SafeStart I have says it removes ammonia and nitrite, but it says it's for monthly use. I added some of that when I changed filter probably about 4 days ago

8. Dom90

Hmm that's probably what happened then. Whenever you change your filter, you are basically throwing away your beneficial bacteria. So what you are experiencing is a minI-cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

What's the next steps I should take to try and save the fish? My mystery snail is his only buddy in the tank and he seems to be just fine.

10. Dom90

What tank size is this? I use Prime and it makes the ammonia non-toxic before the bacteria metabolizes it.

11. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

It's a 10 gallon

12. Dom90

Well, at this point all you can really do is wait it out and hope your fish will be alright.

13. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

Thanks for your help! Now I know for next time if this happens. He doesn't look like he'll make it more than a week :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice