My Hobbies/reviews Of Them

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by stratozyck, Apr 25, 2017.

1. s

stratozyck New Member Member

I have a ton of hobbies and limited time. Over my life I've been into the following:

- coin collecting - Medieval and Russian/Soviet coins. This is expensive and it isn't all that time consuming. After you have looked a a coin and placed it in display, the only fun comes from showing it to others that have not seen it yet. I stopped doing this years ago but if I were a millionaire, I'd definitely get some expensive Medieval or Roman gold pieces.

- guitar - I have played for a long time (15 years) and it is really fun. But, for it to be fun you have to put a lot of time into it. A great setup (good quality guitar, good quality tube amp) can cost easily $1,500. It also requires almost daily practice just to maintain and significantly more to get better.

- Archery. Cool in theory. In practice I ended up with tons of red welts on my arm and lived in fear of the bow breaking. Sold after 3 months and got out.

- Drones - first I started with indoor first person view (FPV) drones. Then I got a Phantom 4 and then a stunt/racing drone. Stunt/racing drones are where the fun is at! To get into this, expect to spend about $300 for a transmitter (everyone calls it the controller..) that can be used on many different types of drones. Spend another $60-200 on FPV googles (I spent $60 for a cheap setup). Minimum $300 for a decent drone with carbon fiber and durable construction.

Conventional wisdom says "practice on cheaper drones" first but this is actually more expensive. The cheaper drones are harder to fly and have a lot less power. A strong gust of wind and there it goes, while my Blade Conspiracy pretty much can go or do whatever I want it to with ease. I can do quadruple back/forward flips and have a camera footage to prove it! If you are good the parts will fail before you crash it (as mine is currently awaiting a new engine).

- aquariums - This is my favorite in terms of expense vs "what you get out of it." When we moved to our current location I got a 69 Gallon Red Sea E Max that is awesome. I want more when I can afford it. A few grand on a saltwater tank is a high fixed cost but if you depreciate it over the life of the tank it isn't as much. I have several other smaller tanks (two fresh, one other 20G saltwater) and this hobby has the best Variable Cost per Fun ratio.

- video games. I was once somewhat into first person shooters. I played Counterstrike on the internet a lot in college (this was in 2001) and was once top 5% in the world in Battlefield 2. Was it worth it? Nah. It has low variable cost, but in terms of stress relief it didn't beat aquariums. In terms of excitement, drones are tons more fun and feel more real. Single player games all have a trick to them as well - I have played so many single player games on the hardest difficulty level and see that the AI cheats and there is often an exploit to win. It gets boring.

2. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

I agree with the part about aquariums having the best cost per fun ratio, unless it all turns south...

3. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

Well, we share some interests!

I putz around with guitar.
    Started after my back surgery bc I was housebound and bored as can be!
    It's just a cheapy, but it sounds great
    16a2a71c61feb73f4b6b6f3f83c150d7.png

I do archery hunt!
    My husband got me into it a while back and I took to it immediately!!
    I also love to shoot, I'm a huge 2nd amendment enthusiast.
    My husband is pro gun, but I carry daily. (Blech, I was still "tea-cupping" in that pic )
    6d7972fc4f13485710adf07b794a8c33.png ab7030d736f992f0b26ad0954d82ec4a.png

My horse and my dog are my other loves (husband and fish aside )
    7bc54e2cafba7203662f77ab308b766c.jpg 598e2bab678c05e38e1b48cf003dbb36.jpg

Other than that, I like to cook and bake.

There is a rails to trails bike trail here that I love doing. 60-some Miles can seriously fly by with a group of friends!

I like hiking, we take the pup often in the summer.

The drone thingie a bit scary.
    I know someone who sued a drone owner/operator bc they kept flying their drone onto their livestock property.
    Something happened and it caused the livestock to freak out causing significant damage and the loss of one or two of the animals

4. OP
    OP
    s

Definitely agree flying drones over farm animals is a MAJOR no no in the community. But here's the thing though, I can just as easily fly a small plane over your property completely legally and have the same effect. One thing flying drones has awaken me to is how much more strict the rules for flying drones are than for flying small planes.

To get approval to fly my DJI Phantom 4 near people, I have to have insurance. I can do the same thing with a piper cub and I am not required to have insurance. If I crash into your house, tough luck for you because I will likely be dead. A piper cub can actually have a lot less automation and sensors than my Phantom 4 too! That thing can fly itself.

It looks like you have land - I highly, highly recommend a first person racing drone. Get a set of first person view (FPV) Goggles, a DS 6 transmitter, and a Blade Conspiracy. If you get bored with it you can always use it for target practice (although shooting down any flying vehicle is technically illegal under FAA regs).

Archery scares me in that I heard stories about the bow breaking and people ending up with arrows in them because of it. I have been to shooting ranges but never was a good shot. I can't keep my hand still (that's probably not good for my medical future) and my eyesight is pretty bad. I'd go out on a limb and say one of the safest places in the world is to have me pointing a gun at you. If I ever did, just relax I can't hit anything.

Oh and the best way to get really good with a guitar is this:

Get a thick stringed acoustic. There is generally a 3-5 to 1 ratio of difficulty in holding down the strings compared to an electric. When you switch back to the electric it will feel a lot easier and you will be much better in terms of time spent practicing.

Also make at least 30 minutes of time to play daily with an agenda. By agenda, I mean know what you are working on. If you want to play other people's music (which is pretty boring if you ask me) it actually takes a lot more time. But if you want to write your own music, what you do is get a song book and learn what you can and steal whatever you want. That's how they write songs.

If you get more into it, get a nylon/classical guitar and get a classical songbook to play in private (unless you have mucho time on your hands you will never get good enough at classical guitar to play well for others). Classical guitar will teach a totally different technique in playing that when you go back to electric, you will notice a major change. Randy Rhodes on "Crazy Train" was simple classical technique applied to rock.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

That's crazy about the insurance angle on those things!
    I have very little land! Lol
    Sadly!!
    We're looking for a house with some property now, but not rushing the process.
    Maybe then, I'll check out the drones

The bow actually breaking in archery is a very very slim chance; so, if you enjoyed it at all, please don't let it worry you too much!
    Rule one is never dry fire your bow and always inspect your strings

I did totally "thwack" my forearm once when I was just starting out
    My whole arm was welted up pretty good!!
    It only took ONE time of that happening to learn exactly what I did and to learn to NEVER do it again!!
    (You've gotta have some bend in your elbow, if you don't have the bend, the draw length is typically too long for your arms, and that's when you'll tap your forearm).

For the guitar, I actually DO have exactly what you mentioned in the way of the acoustic.
    When my dad passed a couple years ago, I inherited all of his string instruments.
    The guy could literally play anything with strings... ANYTHING!
    We are very very Croatian and his entire family (from immigration onward) was highly influential in bringing that music to this region of Pa.
    This was a little write up about my dad when he was inducted into the Tamburitzan Hall of Fame
    bf08b5508f8966717ad74297f3f5d503.jpg
    My great great great grandfather came to America to work, with two cases.
    One carried a few articles of clothing, the other carried a turtle-back Prím (string instrument).
    It's still in our family--I have it now--though my dad had it restored/repaired some.
    It's actually a turtle shell instrument; it's my understanding that it's illegal to sell (not that I would ever) and there are MAYBE 6 in the US. Some psycho offered me an awful lot of money for it AT my dads funeral (what a tool) without ever having laid eyes on it--just heard about it.
    I'm now the proud owner of the following strings:
    2 Prím (sounds like "pream"),
    1 Brač ("Bratch"),
    1 Čelo (sounds like "Chee-low"),
    1 ginormous upright Bass,
    1 Acoustic guitar, and
    1 Bugarija ("Boo-garr'-ee-uh") in need of repair , and I have NO idea what to do with them all!!

Here are some pics of the turtleback Prím
    438bb5ff734afcac51726e7a99a784db.jpg be3085e6818cb291bb3ebe5087ba2be2.jpg 031b5eccaceedba8c359d9ee4c436dc3.jpg

Sadly, I gained none of this musical talent from him, with the exception of singing, lol.
    I putz around with RockSmith and that actually teaches you a thing or two!!

6. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

I'm one of those crazy bird watcher people. :)

7. OP
    OP
    s

On my mothers side apparently an ancestor was a famous harpsichord player and she has a 300 year old tapestry of her playing for some nobles. When I was 21 or so I wanted to be a songwriter (not necessarily a singer) but it obviously never worked out. I definitely feel I had/have the talent for it but I never was all that good at getting a band together. The only one I was in fell apart when the leader wanted to get this girl so he got her to join (cliche right) and the rest of us slinked away. Now I am trying to get "make an album" off of my bucket list so I bought an electronic drum kit thing a while ago but still haven't gotten any good at it.

Thats pretty neat about your father. My mother died when I was young and she was teaching me piano, that is about what I remember of her. My daughter is only 17 mos but I can tell she is really into music. She shakes a maraca and dances to music with a beat. Anytime music comes on a TV show or movie she stops what she is doing and dances. I've been teaching her piano since she was 3 mos (by letting her hit at the keys) and I can say she has gotten better. Before she'd mash on them now she has her fingers on individual keys and it seems more deliberate. I got a ukulele for her as well that I hope to teach her as well.

She will accomplish my dreams for me! Hah no its ok if she grows up to hate playing music but I genuinely sense it in her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice