My Hex5 cycled, yay!

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cujo's 5 gallon tank cycled, woohoo! I think I have had that tank set up for just about 4 weeks now. Cujo came out into his hospital tank two weeks ago, and since then I have been feeding the tank flake food twice a day to keep the ammonia up. About 10 days ago I got some filter sludge from my LFS and dumped it in. A few days after that my water went crystal clear, clear as new water. Then yesterday I checked and my ammonia and nitrites were zero. I took some water into the LFS today for a second opinion, and came home with a mystery snail to celebrate!

Cujo still has a few days of his current fin rot treatment, and then he can go back into his big boy tank.

So questions, of course!  Do I need to do any water changes in the cycled tank? The LFS told me the nitrates were at 10, tho it reads a little higher than that on my test kit.

There is a lot of flake food in the bottom of the tank for the snail to munch on for now. Do I need to keep adding flakes until Cujo goes back in? Will I need to add some kind of food for the snail once Cujo goes back in, since there is never any left over betta pellets?

Thanks again for all your advice...

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the snail is in there, don't add anymore food-- his poop will be enough. So happy for a cycled tank! Do water changes when the tank looks dirty and when the Nitrates get above 20. Now pour a margarita and party-- it's Cinco De Mayo!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
congrats on cycling cujo's tank! don't let him know tho - or he might start to get impatient to be in it.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, I read that mystery snails can eat algae wafers like bottom feeder fish. So since I don't have any live plants in my tank yet I think this is probably what I should do to feed him. I can't see any algae in my tank for him to eat, tho I'm sure there must be some there.

Here is my victory snail:

18.jpg

I think Herman might be a good name for him lol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He has been thusly named: Herman The Victory Snail!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom