My Hermit Crab Story

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by Fanatic, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    It's been a while that I have been on the forum, so I decided that I would come back and finally start posting about my hermit crabs. I want this to be my official journal thread only about hermit crabs, and I do hope that some of you guys actually find interest in this because most of my journals are failed to be updated and then forgotten by me, so hopefully this one can stay up there.

I started keeping hermit crabs four years ago, and it all started when my dad told me that there were some that a family was giving away due to having to move houses because of jobs, and we were the first ones to step up and ask for the crabs. We did take them home, and they were contained in a small ten gallon tank with an inch of very dry dirt, a large piece of driftwood, and two small dishes for food and water. I was absolutely excited to have these crabs because it had been a while that we had any pet other than a dog and a betta fish, so this was a pleasure. Unfortunately, I didn't know any better than to put a couple of inches of moistened substrate, the generic decorations, and the very small water bowls and unhealthy pellet food.

Eventually, after too much trial and error, those crabs both passed away, and we got another crab from the local pet store. Once we had acquired a few more crabs, including another species, we upgraded tanks to a 20 gallon which finally shaped up after some good direction from other crab keepers. Still, it wasn't perfect, but at least we were improving. I learned that they needed six inches of substrate at minimum, so I purchased a bag of play sand, moistened it, and then added it to the brand new tank. Finally, things were looking good, and I was learning a lot about my hermit crabs. I had two crabs in this tank after more had died from my lack of proper understanding to care for them, and that's when I got serious about crabbing. I was very lucky and adopted five new hermit crabs from another keeper who needed to upgrade them, but had little room to do that, so I was able to have them shipped to me from another city in Texas, about five or six hours away from me. Unfortunately, it was during the winter, and the water was less than favorable. We luckily had five crabs survive shipment through 40 degrees in the winter, to my house. I unloaded all five crabs, warmed the very cold motionless bodies to the heat of the room, and they finally started perking up and moving around a bit. I put them into my small tank, which I kept for exactly one more day because the next day was my birthday on which I received my brand new 55 gallon tank to upgrade all of my hermit crabs into. I had seven crabs running around in this new tank that I had set up, it was absolutely amazing to see my crabs living in a big tank with plenty of room to do their thing.

This post was the backstory to my hermit crab keeping, and I will start to get to more recent occurrences. Sadly, most of my photos from the past and adoptions have been lost, so I will have to post new pictures with the updates to this thread whenever possible.

2. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    That’s awesome! I had about 7 at one point, and had 5 for many years in a 40 gallon, nowadays I only have 3 in a 20 long. I got my first hermit crab 8 years ago… it lived in a critter keeper for about a week until I got a second one and a 10 gallon tank. My current hermit crabs I’ve had anywhere between 6 and 8 years. They’re pretty neat!

3. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,528
    Experience:
    2 years
    Would love to see some pictures of your set up if at all possible! :) I’ve been dying to change mine up but I’ve got no ideas. I’ve been designing enclosures all year so I’m at a road block for ideas with my crab tank.

I have one single hermit crab in a 20 gallon that’s reaching his 2 year mark with me at the end of the month. Have you ever had any issues with a “mean” crab? I thought they were supposed to be social but any other crab I’ve introduced him to he’s pretty much killed within a week. He has plenty of shells to choose from so I don’t see him killing the other crabs for their shells.I refer to him as “The Murder Crab” and at this point I won’t introduce him to anymore “friends” because he’s likely just to kill them like the past 2.

4. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    That’s so weird. When I had one hermit crab, he was super lethargic and shortly after I bought a friend for him, they were so happy and spending all their time together. When it was just the 2 of them they were like best buddies. I do find that my hermit crabs will sleep in a big pile next to each other as well, pretty cute haha.

5. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    Sorry for the lack of updating the thread, but I did get some pictures of the crabitat.

This is the topper, and the rest is the main part of the tank.
    43BBAF53-F5C7-458F-A25D-095665DD5990.
    098FA0B0-4175-4A56-80CF-7B22B8894FC5.D6243A91-CB64-4D82-AC3E-8B312AF3BD38.

Become a Fishlore Member