20 Gallon Tank My heater stopped working and I’m panicking

Dan12boy

My heater isn’t working anymore and I don’t know why. I put my hand in to quickly move something around and felt that it was pretty cold. So I checked my thermometer and it shows 64 degrees Fahrenheit. I check to see if my heater is unplugged but it’s not. It’s a new heater than came with the tetra glofish tank set so I have no idea as to why it would stop working. The red light indicator that shows its working came on for like 2 seconds then went back off. I have guppies and they seem fine just at the top waiting for food since the cover’s off. I’m really scared though because my tank just finished cycling and I was ecstatic and now this happens. I’m not able to get a heater today but if I need to I can get one tomorrow. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. This is a picture of how the heater is placed.

Attachments

• 6B5DC39A-ADEA-423B-96A1-2BF29F16C955.jpeg
    6B5DC39A-ADEA-423B-96A1-2BF29F16C955.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 12

StarGirl

You could do the opposite of hot tanks with ice and float some hot water bottles in there. Is it that cold in your house right now?

Upvote 0

Lucy

That heater isn't adjustable, is it?
Wrap your tank in blankets to keep the heat in. Don't open the lid until you can get a new heater.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

You could do the opposite of hot tanks with ice and float some hot water bottles in there. Is it that cold in your house right now?
It’s in the basement that’s why it’s cold. Okay I was thinking of trying that thank you.
That heater isn't adjustable, is it?
Wrap your tank in blankets to keep the heat in. Don't open the lid until you can get a new heater.
No it’s not, it’s just basic, I might be able to get a new one tonight and okay I’ll close it back. Can I feed my fishes though?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

It’s in the basement that’s why it’s cold. Okay I was thinking of trying that thank you.

No it’s not, it’s just basic, I might be able to get a new one tonight and okay I’ll close it back. Can I feed my fishes though?
I would do the blanket thing Lucy said too!

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I would do the blanket thing Lucy said too!
Okay definitely!! I’m less panicky now thank you so much.

Upvote 0

DrogJustDrog

I had one of those heaters. They suck.

It could be that it's covered up by something making it think the tank is warm when only the surrounding area is or that bottom part that's made of rubber is somehow damaged. I think that's what made mine ineffective.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

If your tank is in the basement I would get a 100w adjustable heater. It may help a ton in the winter when it is colder yet.

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I had one of those heaters. They suck.

It could be that it's covered up by something or that bottom part that's made of rubber is somehow damaged. I think that's what made mine ineffective.
Wow that’s so wrong that they sell it in their sets. It’s just been working for about a month and a half and it’s already bad. Maybe the rubber part got damaged which makes no sense.
If your tank is in the basement I would get a 100w adjustable heater. It may help a ton in the winter when it is colder yet.
Yes that’s what I’m trying to get. The eheim jaegar I think is what my sister is going to try to get for me at PetSmart right now.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Heaters are fickle pickles. You either have good luck or bad with them. It seems every brand has failed someone out there. Its just a luck of the draw sometimes. Yours was probably made on Monday morning...lol

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

Heaters are fickle pickles. You either have good luck or bad with them. It seems every brand has failed someone out there. Its just a luck of the draw sometimes. Yours was probably made on Monday morning...lol
Lol I wouldn’t doubt that. I panicked for a second there but I’m kinda at ease especially since it’s just guppies I have and I know they can withstand these 60 low temps for sometime.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

I Suggest looking on YouTube and search DIY Heaters

Upvote 0

Dan12boy

I Suggest looking on YouTube and search DIY Heaters
Those exist?? It’s okay thought thank you. My sister got one for me and I’ll be setting it up once she gets home.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

Those exist?? It’s okay thought thank you. My sister got one for me and I’ll be setting it up once she gets home.
Yeah those exist havent tried it yet since im in a tropical area. Hope your new heater doesnt break

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BigFish99
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
  • Lobsterman
  • Heater
Replies