55 Gallon Tank My heater is doing weird things

crazycatlady

So my heater is 5 years old (I know I know) I should probably work on getting a new one soon, but I'd prefer not to in the same week that I have to get a new motor for my heater and two new hoods for my tank (it's double sided) but the light on my heater which is normally always on keep flicking on and off and I don't know if it's broken or what.

I'm really frustrated at this point and almost ready to give up on ever having this tank up and running. Any suggestions on good heaters since mine is acting up/probably broken?

Orion5

My heater light always flickered on & off, and still kept working. But I know nothing about these things... Is your water temperature holding?

crazycatlady

My thermometer isn't giving me any readings (it's one of the sticker ones) but the water in the tank doesn't seem cold. Maybe I just never noticed that the light turns off and on?

CatfishJack

The heater will turn on and off as needed to maintain temperature.

cichlidman

they have decent heaters on ebay that will last a couple of years for like 8-10 bucks shipped

Eienna

That sounds like normal operation. The light will only come on when it's actually heating the water, something it doesn't have to do constantly. However, if it's flickering, or it keeps turning on and off at very short intervals, I would get another heater. I personally like the ones from AquaTop; not real expensive and they do the job just fine. I've also heard that the eheim jager heaters are good.

Aquarist

Good morning,

First I would recommend a reliable thermometer, even two so that you can compare:

As others have mentioned, it sounds like the heater light is doing what it should be doing. The question here is, what is the temperature of your tank and what is the temperature setting on the heater? Do they match? Are they within 1 or 2 degrees? If they do match or are within 1 or 2 degrees then the heater should be fine.

If you are using a glass heater, make sure there is no condensation in the heater itself. If there is, it should be replaced as the seals are compromised.

I'm currently using all Aqueon Pros in all of my tanks. The light glows green when the set temperature has been reached and glows red when the heater is actually heating:

Select the size needed for your tank.

Note: The aquarium water will only be as cool as the room temperature. If you have your heater set at 76 and the room temperature is 78, then your aquarium water should also be 78.

Ken

Saiya

Is there any problem using a heater that is 5 yrs old? My heater is around the 7 year mark range and I have had no problems with it.

crazycatlady

Update: My heater is flicking on and off at short intervals and it is not heating up the aquarium to the appropriate temperature so I guess it's time for a new one. The thermometer read 68 degrees this morning, and the heater is set to 76.

Saiya: As far as I know there's nothing wrong with using an older heater as long as it works but that they become less reliable with age.

Thanks for the recommendations! But I think I would much rather buy a heater available in one of the LPS. Are the fluval heaters any good?

CatfishJack

Update: My heater is flicking on and off at short intervals and it is not heating up the aquarium to the appropriate temperature so I guess it's time for a new one. The thermometer read 68 degrees this morning, and the heater is set to 76.

Saiya: As far as I know there's nothing wrong with using an older heater as long as it works but that they become less reliable with age.
If that is the case then yes, replace that asap. I believe petsmart has some heaters on sale right now if you're not inclined to buy online.

crazycatlady

So I've decided to get the 200 watt Aqueon Submersible heater from Petsmart which is on sale for $32. Is this a good heater?

CatfishJack

So I've decided to get the 200 watt Aqueon Submersible heater from Petsmart which is on sale for $32. Is this a good heater?

Aqueon heaters are pretty good, IME.

crazycatlady

Update: I finally got my heater last night, I'm going to put it in the tank tomorrow. Is 76 an okay temperature for Bolivian rams?

Eienna

If I am correct, they'd do better at 78-80, but you'll want to look them up to confirm.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Question
  • Dan12boy
  • Heater
Replies
Views
IDKwhattodo
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Busted Heater