My Heater Exploded!

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by :) fatcatfish (:, Apr 13, 2017.

1. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

This morning whilst I was doing a 50% water change I forgot to unplug my heater and the light which tells me it's on stopped working ages ago so I didn't realise it was still on when I drained the tank and it exploded. I'm using a 2 litre bottle filled with warm water to keep the tank around 25*C until my heater arrives tomorrow morning; will this be sufficient?

I'm a bit worried that during the night the temperature might drop a few degrees, will my fish be okay until morning?

Could anything have leaked into the water from the heater unit?

Definitely one of those (bad) unforgettable experiences, thankfully no one was hurt or electrocuted!

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

You should be okay as long as it doesn't get too cold. Also remember to increase the temp slowly when you get your new heater.

That's one of my fears! I'm almost always mid vac when I remember and start scrambling to unplug!

3. Dori.anne

Dori.anne Valued Member Member

Me too! If it wasn't for noticing the red indicator light, I'm sure I would have destroyed my heater by now. Its good for me to read these cautionary tales.

OP - it might help to wrap something around the tank, lke a blanket, to help insulate it over night and minimize temperature drop.

4. OP
    OP
    :) fatcatfish (:

Thank you for the replies! It's definitely something you hear about happening but you don't expect it to happen to you really. It's quite scary, especially the sound it makes and the crackle of electricity when the bottom part flies off.

It should only go down to maybe 19-20C because that is the average temperature of my room, would you recommend perhaps increasing by 1 degree per hour or two when the new heater is in?

Really I should have replaced the heater when the indicator light broke...

I hadn't thought of putting something over it, thank you! I have a spare couple of towels I can throw over the tank. Perhaps I should invest in some emergency bubble wrap for disasters like this!

The tank is hovering about 23 degrees Celsius at the moment.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

That increase is good. .

6. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Some heaters claim to shutoff in this situation, including my Fluval E and Aqueon Pros. I may have tested this a few times without even realizing it. Then there are the times where I forget to plug the heaters or filter back in...

7. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Could the heater be positioned so that when the water change is undertaken it is not effected by the water level.

This is what I do in my tanks.

I put a tiny permanent mark where the water level should be drained to. One at 25% and one at 33%. I never change more than this.

8. OP
    OP
    :) fatcatfish (:

I bought an Eheim 200 Watt heater, so I'm not sure whether that has a shut-off function to it. I would have gone for the Fluval E 200 Watt if I'd had enough money at the moment.

It was originally quite close to the substrate -- about 4" above -- but then when I got new wood pieces I decided to move it higher up; not making that mistake again. Thank you for the idea, I'll do that when I put in the new heater tomorrow! :)

9. iIHaveFishQuestions

iIHaveFishQuestions New Member Member

My fluval heater just exploded after 40% water change...... just fyi :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice