My heart is heavy today.

1. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

I woke up on this 4th of July and I went to feed my Betta and noticed his tankmate, Tina had died. I really don't want to test the water right now as it is clear and Blue is doing fine...

I can rule out starvation because I saw that she ate as well when algae discs were dropped in and I want to rule out that Blue killed her because she didn't have any visible damage.

This Oto had survived a whole lot and meant very much to me, she was what kept me inspired to continue through any tough times in the hobby just as she had done.

I'll reply later with test results but the tank has been cycled for a while..

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Otos are very susceptible to water parameters. I would test the water just to be safe. Even if it looks clear, the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are invisible and could be the reason why Tina died.

I am sorry to hear about her death, had she had any changes of behavior prior to her passing?

3. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

She would come out a lot in the day time and this was in the last 2 days. She would usually hide away in the daytime and come out at night.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Maybe she was just old?

5. Tonia

When did you last do a water change? How often did you offer the algae pellet? How long has the tank been set up? Also, what are the water parameters?

This information can help to make sure we give you the best possible answers

6. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

Parameters (Just as I thought)

0.25ppm Ammonia (The usual for my kit, i assume it's 0 when it says this)

0ppm Nitrite

20ppm Nitrate

Nitrates a little high for this tank as it usually stays in the 5-10ppm side but not extremely high.

I offered the algae pellet on a one night yes one night no schedule, I didn't want her to eat too much and be bloated or constipated. I also offered cucumber on a much less strict schedule. but that was a rarity since I don't have a veggie clip.

Last water change was on Tuesday and it was 50%, no filters were cleaned. Tank has been set up for over a year now.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you mention the Oto was put in the same tank as a betta? I'm not so sure the water parameters had anything to do with the death. More than likely, it was killed by the betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

They've been together for months now and the Oto was perfect, not even a scratch. I've seen fish killed by Bettas and they never look pretty, believe me.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't mean it's not possible. Bettas are not community fish and they can easily turn on tankmates at any moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

11. Tonia

It is possible that she passed just due to age. I am sorry for your loss, and for putting you through the extra steps with the water testing, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I have a shoal of 6 otos in my tank, 7 before the loss of one of my eldest otos. I have had them for 2 years now and had just performed a water change when she passed. I guessed she was a female because she was larger and fatter than most of the others. I completely understand how you feel not knowing exactly why she passed, but it sounds like you were taking very good care of her.

12. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Maybe it was just her time. :( In any case, I highly doubt it was the betta, you would've seen signs for sure on the body if it was. Sorry for your loss though. :console:

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How long did you have the oto?

14. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

I would've had her for a year next month.

15. m

marytsharp Valued Member Member

16. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Sorry :( Never easy.

17. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

I am sorry you have lost your fish, it's never a nice feeling not knowing what exactly happend:(

18. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

So today I turned on the light and I instinctively went to look for Tina and when it hit me that she died, I started crying.

Yes, I cried over a less than 2 inch catfish. Man this sucks.

19. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

IMG_2190.jpg
    This is her many months ago for anyone that wanted to see her.

S.I.P. My friend.

20. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss, i cry over my fish too. It's always hard to lose one. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app