My hardcore recipe :)

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by cichlidmac, Dec 15, 2012.

1. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I just made my best batch of co2.
    1 gallon milk jug, push a sharp pencil through the middle of cap, insert airline and hot glue to seal.

2 cups white sugar
    1 cup melted brown sugar
    1 cup cranberry juice
    1 spoon baking soda

After adding all ingredients and shaking vigorously I added 1 pack of dry yeast and filled jug 3/4 with hot water from facet.

Easy recipe but I tried the juice for fun and it might be the secret :)

P.S I wouldn't try this recipe unless you have a well oxygenated aquarium. The co2 out put is pretty crazy half my bubble wand is going nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

So you just stick the airline to the bubble wand? How long does it work?
    I've been thinking about trying CO2 but I can't afford the normal setups, so this might be great. Not sure my plants need it, however. They're growing incredibly well as-is.

3. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

I run a short line from cap to a check valve, then from check valve to bubble wand. My plants were doing great as well, however after starting co2 they are even better.

The only down side with diy is you can't control flow as well as a pressurized co2 system. With this recipe things could get a little out of control so I may use an air line splitter to let some co2 escape into the air, relieving some of the pressure to the tank.

4. Eienna

OK. Maybe I could put a knot in the line the way you do for drip-acclimating XD How long does a recipe of that kind usually last you (how long until the CO2 stops coming from it at an appreciable rate?)
    I'm not sure I WANT my plants to do better. They'll overrun the tank! XDD

5. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Last time lasted 2 weeks this one,may last longer.

6. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

I keep a paper bag over the jug, yeast likes it dark and will last,longer in a warm dark area. Also wine yeast can tolerate a higher alcohol content so that's what I'll try next time. Wine yeast could probably go a month.

7. Eienna

OK, thank you!

8. CatfishJack

CatfishJack Well Known Member Member

Been wondering how to dose c02 with out having to do the expensive pressurized can bit... thanks

ETA: is this safe to do with fish in the tank?

9. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Yep

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice