My Guppy just had babies

Jessemama
OMG ok so my gupy just had babies and they are SOO freaking cute! they look bright orange and yellow or bright orange and white or orange and redish.. so I don't know what hey will look like when they are older but I'm so excited!!!

TheEssigs
Congrats on your new little ones!!

Good luck

susitna-flower
:;a2 You may have already posted about this, but are you going to separate the fry?
Aren't babies fun, Gotta Luv em!!!

Jessemama
thanks everyone!!!!! I'm gonna keep in the breeding tank ill they get to a certian size then move em to a different tank till they are big enough to go with the other ones. IM so excited!! thanks everyone
it the best new years gift:;giftever!!

guppiemaster892
Congrats!

Makesure you cage them up so the others don't mistake them for food.

Angela_96
CONGRATS ! I love new batches of FRY! I get so excited when my girls have babies!

COBettaCouple
Congrats! Yea, those little fry are so cute, especially when you have a lot of them and it's meal time. LOL

Jessemama
thanks everyone!! yeah they are so cue mostly when you feed em they are SO cute there is one who is just like a little ball of fire. Yeah they aare still in the breeding tank so none of the big fish can get to em.

voiceless_kat
I had my first experience with guppy fry a couple months ago, and I agree, they are adorable. Ane the larger they get, the cuter they get. I will be sad when mine are finally given away/traded.............and aren't they piglets when they eat? Good luck with them!

Jessemama
I had my first experience with guppy fry a couple months ago, and I agree, they are adorable. Ane the larger they get, the cuter they get. I will be sad when mine are finally given away/traded.............and aren't they piglets when they eat? Good luck with them!

aww how cute!!! O I know I can't wait for them to get bigger I want to know what color they will be cause the female was pregnet when I got her from the store so I have no idea what the daddylooked like lol. OMG yes they are such little piglets when they eat I was just like CUTE!! thanks!! my mom and dad are so excited to!lol

voiceless_kat
My fry ( I call them babies..lol) are a little over 2 months old, and their tails all look like they will be some kind of yellow - there are 25 of the little mites, all looking the same. That would be funny...I was hoping for a little variety! I spend a little time every day watching them..they really make me smile!
Val:;sman

COBettaCouple
We had to find a home for all of our Red Fancy Gups about a month ago, including 3 tanks of fry.. I don't miss cleaning their tanks every other day, but I miss the little ones swimming around.

Gavi
I got a trio of guppies a month ago. One male, two females.
Naturally, my two famales gave birth! Just a day apart! In total I have 32 fry seperate in a 10 gallon and seem healthy.

The question though is this:
I plan to keep my male endler guppy seperate from the females to avoid another batch in a month. I read that guppies can hold sperm for a while. Is it possible that my guppies held sperm while pregnant and therefore is impossible to avoid for sure another batch of babies next month!? Please give me your insight.

Bonus question:
I think i just cross bred an endler with fancy tail guppies? What do you think they'll look like?

flyinGourami
Lol can't really help you with the bonus question but yes, even if you keep the male endler away its still very possible for the females to get pregnant AGAIN. If you get a female livebearer, you will most likely have a endless supply of fry :/ lol

SM1199
Livebearers will store sperm for a long while, and will continue having fry every month for at least the next few months even without the male present.

There are a lot of different endlers and a lot of different guppies out there, it's hard to say without seeing photos!

AquaCaitlin
If they bred once, there is a 99% chance the female will drop more fry in another 30 days or so, and possibly a third and fourth time as well without even having to mate again.

Gavi
Lol can't really help you with the bonus question but yes, even if you keep the male endler away its still very possible for the females to get pregnant AGAIN. If you get a female livebearer, you will most likely have a endless supply of fry :/ lol
Woah! This is a scary thought.
Thank you for your response!

flyinGourami
Woah! This is a scary thought.
Thank you for your response!
No problem .Don't worry, if you don't provide many hiding spots only a few fry will actually make it to adult-hood. ANother way to reduce population is just to simply feed less so that only the adult fish get any food. If you find a way to get rid of them(for example sell them or give them away) that could also be a good solution. Anyways, don't worry about it too much! Good luck

Gavi
If they bred once, there is a 99% chance the female will drop more fry in another 30 days or so, and possibly a third and fourth time as well without even having to mate again.
This makes me wonder if wether my male guppy is the actual dad to these fry. They might have mated before then!

No problem .Don't worry, if you don't provide many hiding spots only a few fry will actually make it to adult-hood. ANother way to reduce population is just to simply feed less so that only the adult fish get any food. If you find a way to get rid of them(for example sell them or give them away) that could also be a good solution. Anyways, don't worry about it too much! Good luck
In a perfect world, Id like to give all of them good homes. Thanks for wishing me luck.

qldmick
This makes me wonder if wether my male guppy is the actual dad to these fry. They might have mated before then!
he's likely not.

Evaldiv6
I’ve come to learn that to leave the fry in the tank and let the survival of the fittest kick in lol... I had about 6 guppies and currently have over 50 because they had two batches and I chose to separate. But now I let them have the fry with their current tank and it dropped the survival rate.

Gone

To have any control over which fish breed with each other, you have to practice selective breeding. Separate the females and males starting at about one month old. When those reach breeding age, you can set up breeders, and will know the specific fish that will produce the next generation. Selective breeding takes lots of tanks. Most people colony breed, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's impossible to control the breeders, and the traits will start to deteriorate over time.

Gavi
To have any control over which fish breed with each other, you have to practice selective breeding. Separate the females and males starting at about one month old. When those reach breeding age, you can set up breeders, and will know the specific fish that will produce the next generation. Selective breeding takes lots of tanks. Most people colony breed, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's impossible to control the breeders, and the traits will start to deteriorate over time.
Yes, I plan to separate my fish once they start to sex out so I can can have more control over breeding. Thanks for your advise!

Sleepyflea
My guppy just had 35 babies. I crushed up some hikaru fancy guppy food and they seem to be going after it for their first feeding.
How many times a day should i feed them?
How big of amounts?
How long should i wait to seperate them?

They are currently in their own 10 gallon grow out tank.

SnookusFish
With fry its important to feed them throughout the day so I would do about 3 feedings a day of as much as they can eat in a minute. Why do you need to separate them?

Sleepyflea
With fry its important to feed them throughout the day so I would do about 3 feedings a day of as much as they can eat in a minute. Why do you need to separate them?
So they dont have more kids?!?!

kattiq
My guppy just had 35 babies. I crushed up some hikaru fancy guppy food and they seem to be going after it for their first feeding.
How big of amounts?

I was always told to feed them every few hours, at least for the first week. I have 1 fry and I feed 3 times a day and she is almost 3 weeks old now. Also having floating plants is good too because they will nibble on the roots too eventually.
Also you can sex them pretty early on so I would separate as you notice what their gender is. Just easier that way and no risk of babies. Males can start breeding around 7ish weeks, Females are around 10-ish weeks.

Sleepyflea
I was always told to feed them every few hours, at least for the first week. I have 1 fry and I feed 3 times a day and she is almost 3 weeks old now. Also having floating plants is good too because they will nibble on the roots too eventually.
Also you can sex them pretty early on so I would separate as you notice what their gender is. Just easier that way and no risk of babies. Males can start breeding around 7ish weeks, Females are around 10-ish weeks.
I have some fake floating plants. Ive noticed about 4 of them stay at the top and the rest of them stay at the bottom in a big group. They have already eaten their first bites and i cleaned out as much food as i could from the tank. How long do you think i should wait to feed them again? theres still specs on the aquarium floor.

I am currently growing baby brine shrimp live. They will be ready for them in 3 days. I was totally unprepared.
Ive also noticed they can outswim the filter intake. They can also outswim the gravel siphon intake. Very strong gupps.

kattiq
I have some fake floating plants. Ive noticed about 4 of them stay at the top and the rest of them stay at the bottom in a big group. They have already eaten their first bites and i cleaned out as much food as i could from the tank. How long do you think i should wait to feed them again? theres still specs on the aquarium floor.
I did it every 4 hours for the first week or so. And I just used Hikari first bites and crushed regular flakes. They really aren't that picky and mine has grown so much! Now I feed them 3 times a day and they seem perfectly happy with that.

Sleepyflea
So i gender checked them all already. I have yet to see any male parts. but it looks like i got 35 female guppies. They are all eating moving crushed food and i can see theyre stomachs. I plan on doing 25% water changes every 3 days. I cant believe she had all females!

image0.jpg

Found another fry sitting at the bottom of my big tank. I guess there was a straggler.

kattiq
How old are they? They might be too young to sex right now. I have a hard time believing that all 35 are females (but they really could be!)

SanDiegoRedneck
I am currently growing baby brine shrimp live. They will be ready for them in 3 days. I was totally unprepared.
Ive also noticed they can outswim the filter intake. They can also outswim the gravel siphon intake. Very strong gupps.
I feed my fry microworms.

Mhamilton0911
You can't sex them that early. Usually around 3 weeks you'll start to see some with gravid spots and some without, then in another week or so, those without gravid spots will start growing the gonopodium.

This is by my experience and studying my own fry. Other strains might be different.

SanDiegoRedneck
How big of amounts?

If you wanted to try microworms I would ship a culture for free just pay shipping.

Jollypop4321
Nice thread mate
Here’s some novice advice

It’s too early to sex your fry. Wait until they are about a month old or so
your brine shrimp should be ready within 24 hrs of staring them if you have a proper set up
If you want large healthy guppies from this Batch I recommend feeding brine shrimp every day along with a quality crushed flake. The brine shrimp helps them grow crazy fast, quality flake food will aid in proper coloration.

One the fry have grown to adulthood it might be fun to start a line breed program where you control who the parents of fry are and breed for traits you want to see in your guppies such as color ,fin shape, body style
have fun

emeraldking
How big of amounts?

You need a babysitter...

Even if you won't feed them reguraly, most of the time there's still enough food left behind on the bottom of the tank that we don't see but those fry are able to find.

Sleepyflea
10 days later recount has been made. There are around 25 guppies total. Its hard to count them all together.
For the first 10 days they were fed hikaru fancy guppy food. They have nearly doubled in size in 10 days. Today i have started growing BBS and they will be ready in 2-3 days. After the BBS is ready i will alternate every 3 days from crushed hikaru food and live brine shrimp. The hikaru food provides alot, but the brine shrimp makes guppies tails grow longer and more beautifull than ive ever seen any food do. The water is tan because i introduced tannins when they were first born. Here is a picture of a couple of them. I feed them 2-3x a day.
IMG-0084.jpg

Oh and water changes 2 times a week. They get light 12 hours a day for spinal growth.

I feed my fry microworms.
No thanks. I tried that stuff once and couldnt handle it. BBS is much better and not as smelly.

Picture update! 31 days old and they are all female. Final count is 26 female guppies. Mother is now living with them since they are big enough. The bioload of 27 guppies is getting to be alot for a 10 gallon. I might have to setup another 10 gallon to split them. The tails are starting to turn black, more colors will come within a few months according to research.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 36
SanDiegoRedneck
Picture update! 31 days old and they are all female. Final count is 26 female guppies. Mother is now living with them since they are big enough. The bioload of 27 guppies is getting to be alot for a 10 gallon. I might have to setup another 10 gallon to split them. The tails are starting to turn black, more colors will come within a few months according to research.
Glad all doing well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few of those are actually male.

Sleepyflea
Glad all doing well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few of those are actually male.
Ive checked them all many times over. They have the double fin on the bottom and the single fin at the bum, which tells me they are all females. Unless they havent grown peckers yet? xd

My other female just had 6 kids. Im assuming there will be more over the next few days. She has been moved to the birthing tank. We are now up to 32 baby guppies, 3 adult female guppies, and 2 males guppies, and 1 betta.

I now have a total of 38 fish! Time to start giving out some! lol

emeraldking
You can't sex them that early. Usually around 3 weeks you'll start to see some with gravid spots and some without, then in another week or so, those without gravid spots will start growing the gonopodium.

This is by my experience and studying my own fry. Other stains might be different.
Nice thread mate
Here’s some novice advice

It’s too early to sex your fry.
Well both of you, you can sex them way earlier than the ages you've been mentioning to be honest. It does need a trained eye.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Mary765
Replies
Views
Gen120
Replies
Views
Georgia
Replies