My Guppy Is Neurotic

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by tessarae, Aug 18, 2019.

1. tessarae

tessaraeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, My guppy is a few months old and didn’t used to swim like this but for the past month he swims like he’s on speed! My videos won’t upload and he obviously won’t swim slow enough for me to photograph so this is blurry. but he literally swims upside down sometimes and does backflips and laps ALL day and night! He has also become obsessed with the left wall of the tank and rubs his nose on it and swims into it like he’s trying to get out. But there’s no mirror or reflection there. Is he okay?? He still responds positively to food and no change in his appearance. I just don’t want him to be stressed. He and my snail are the only ones in the tank, water quality is totally fine temperature 80.

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    Water is a bit warm for guppies. 75 would probably be better if your heater is adjustable. What are the exact water parameters? Are you testing with an API kit?

3. gandalf1420

gandalf1420Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    I had a bunch of guppies in a 36 a few years ago and they did that all the time. They're pretty active. kallililly1973 is probably right though, I'm an amateur, totally just going off of one experience here. Also, the title of your thread is one of the funniest things I've seen all day.

4. DeanEllenFins

DeanEllenFinsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Young male guppies are extremely active when healthy. My male tanks play and dance with each other all day and seem to never tire for about a 4 month window. I breed guppies for the local LFS and have noticed this behavior in the healthiest of males.

5. OP
    OP
    tessarae

tessaraeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh really I will adjust it.
    Nitrates <20
    Nitrites <.5
    PH 7.5
    Ammonia .02

6. OP
    OP
    tessarae

tessaraeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    That is good to know! Do you think he would be happier with another fish?

7. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    There is the reason your guppy is neurotic. You have traces of ammonia and nitrites. your readings should be zero ammonia and nitrites and traces of nitrates. I would do at least a 50%WC right away and dose the new water with Prime and retest tomorrow

8. OP
    OP
    tessarae

tessaraeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0

9. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Experience:
    2 years
    A WC will get the ammonia down but i would invest in a liquid kit cause test strips can give less than accurate readings. Also always test your water source to see if their is anything in there.