My Guppy Is Giving Birth Right Now

The Lonely King
I need help guys I saw 2 fry in my tank and they are hiding in my tank what should I do I don't have any other aquarium but I have breeder net should I put the guppy inside or will that make her abort the fry?
if I left the fry will they survive?
I have driftwood and two live plants and one fake and a large stone will that help?

-Sofia-
Guppies will eat their own children so I think you should separate them asap!

The Lonely King
Guppies will eat their own children so I think you should separate them asap!
should I remove the fry?

luckdown
If you want them to live I would. Make sure you use the water for the tank from them

-Sofia-
The Lonely King
If you want them to live I would. Make sure you use the water for the tank from them
I'm going to use my breeder net

AntsRule
Sounds good.

The Lonely King
Yes, the mother will even eat them! But before you remove her make sure she is done having any more babies
I have 3 guppies and a platy and I don't have any other aquariums

luckdown
I use small containers for each batch of fry lol

Mary765
No no no no no no no no no

Terrible idea trust me. Never put a pregnant guppy mother in a breeding box unless you absolutely have to. It can make her ABORT her fry or even die from the stress.

You can scoop up the fry and put them in the breeding trap if you want for up to 2 weeks but any longer and their growth will be stunted, and if you don't have a spare cycled tank then after 2 weeks then you would have to put them back in the main tank.

Some fry will always get eaten, you can't prevent that as harsh as it seems, but you wouldn't want to have to raise all the fry anyway so imo just leave the fry in the main tank so they can explore and grow naturally

The Lonely King
I have 3 guppies and a platy and I don't have any other aquariums
No no no no no no no no no

Terrible idea trust me. Never put a pregnant guppy mother in a breeding box unless you absolutely have to. It can make her ABORT her fry or even die from the stress.

You can scoop up the fry and put them in the breeding trap if you want for up to 2 weeks but any longer and their growth will be stunted, and if you don't have a spare cycled tank then after 2 weeks then you would have to put them back in the main tank.

Some fry will always get eaten, you can't prevent that as harsh as it seems, but you wouldn't want to have to raise all the fry anyway so imo just leave the fry in the main tank so they can explore and grow naturally
I know that a female guppy has high chance of aborting the fry when you put her alone
so I saved 3 guppy fry and know they are swimming in the breeder net I'm just thinking what should I do when changing the water

fjh
Add a lot of decor and plants and you should be fine. Floating ferny plants are best, like hornwort.

Eating fry isn't as common as people believe, especially if your fish are fed regularly (like they should be). Even if the other fish did have an inclination to eat them, fry are really fast and great at hiding.

Is it a breeder net or a breader box? Either way I would not put the mother in there, but you can put the fry in the net if youd like until they are large enough not to be eaten. Another option is to put them in a large tupperware with a heater (no substrate!!) And do daily WC+vacumme the bottom until they can rejoin the community.

The Lonely King
Add a lot of decor and plants and you should be fine. Floating ferny plants are best, like hornwort.

Eating fry isn't as common as people believe, especially if your fish are fed regularly (like they should be). Even if the other fish did have an inclination to eat them, fry are really fast and great at hiding.

Is it a breeder net or a breader box? Either way I would not put the mother in there, but you can put the fry in the net if youd like until they are large enough not to be eaten. Another option is to put them in a large tupperware with a heater (no substrate!!) And do daily WC+vacumme the bottom until they can rejoin the community.
breeder net.
I have 3 fry now in my breeder net.

CrypticAngel502
They should be fine when you change the water, just make sure that the water line does go too low. Or if the net has suction cups just scooch it down a bit and raise it back up when you fill it up.

The Lonely King
They should be fine when you change the water, just make sure that the water line does go too low. Or if the net has suction cups just scooch it down a bit and raise it back up when you fill it up.
can you help me with feeding them I tried grinding fish flakes but they won't eat

Carlthefishnotthelama
can you help me with feeding them I tried grinding fish flakes but they won't eat
They won't eat right away, at least mine didnt I have a 10 gal with almost 40 fry!

The Lonely King
They won't eat right away, at least mine didnt I have a 10 gal with almost 40 fry!
then what should they eat they don't even have algae to feed on....

Hunter1
HakarI “First Bites” is the best IMO.

Before I bought those, I finely ground flakes.

But they don’t need eat right away. They should start tomorrow.

The Lonely King
HakarI “First Bites” is the best IMO.

Before I bought those, I finely ground flakes.

But they don’t need eat right away. They should start tomorrow.[/QUOTE
thank you I was worried.

Carlthefishnotthelama
then what should they eat they don't even have algae to feed on....
Tomorrow try feeding them finely ground flakes and they should eat. But I personally raise brine shrimp to feed my fry.

Hunter1
I agree but it will take 24+ hours to get brine shrimp to hatch.

That's true that's why I run a cycle of three bottles and each bottle lasts me two to three days

So, not wanting to steal your thunder but my community tank had at least 25 guppy fry soon after I saw your post. I netted most/all of them and put them in a 20 tall rearing tank that already had 12-15 month old fry. Plus 6 panda corys.

Now i’m Overstocked!!

That's true that's why I run a cycle of three bottles and each bottle lasts me two to three days
Works great but if you aren’t ready for fry, don’t think the OP was, brine shrimp aren’t the first option.

But finely ground flakes, or “First Bites” will get you through.

Haven’t done brine shrimp in 40 years but I got the stuff and moved approximately 25 guppy fry from my community tonight so I think i’ll Start some Sunday night when I get back.

Carlthefishnotthelama

So, not wanting to steal your thunder but my community tank had at least 25 guppy fry soon after I saw your post. I netted most/all of them and put them in a 20 tall rearing tank that already had 12-15 month old fry. Plus 6 panda corys.

Now i’m Overstocked!!

Works great but if you aren’t ready for fry, don’t think the OP was, brine shrimp aren’t the first option.

But finely ground flakes, or “First Bites” will get you through.

Haven’t done brine shrimp in 40 years but I got the stuff and moved approximately 25 guppy fry from my community tonight so I think i’ll Start some Sunday night when I get back.
That's true but I always have had one bottle of brine ready just because I use them as a treat for my adult guppys too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
crayfish1
Top Bottom