My Guppy has given birth

Fergal Hunter

Reaction score
I can't see how many they are because they are hiding, the most I have seen at once is four.
How many should I expect and what do I do with them ???

I would be grateful for any help that can be given

thanks

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
HI Fergal! Congratulations!

The number of fry depends on many things:
1/ how many times she's already given birth (first time mothers will give less fry),
2/ how safe she feels (stressed mothers - bullying, lack of swimming space, etc. - may give birth to a majority of stillborns which you wouldn't necessary get to see if they get eaten quick)
3/ the quality of the water. A water high in pollutants like nitrates will also stress out the mother, getting her to delay her birthing to later and later. This situation might see many stillbirths too.

Otherwise, if they're anything like mollies, you can expect up to 30 or more per batch!!! Mine have only ever had 13 per batch (odd number, I know) that we could count.

OP
F

Fergal Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks ;D
I noticed them last night

how long is the cycle, from fertilisation to giving birth?

because I only bought the fish last Saturday. I'm pretty sure I takes longer than a week

the four that I have seen must be about a third of the size of a neon blue tetra. how long will they take to be full grown?

Fergal

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
They're pregnant for about 4 weeks, but can keep it in for seemingly ever if they're stressed or under the wrong conditions. This explains why female mollies arrive from the shop not pregnant, and 'miraculously' fatten up and give birth once at your home after a while, even without a male in sight! I'd advise giving the mother a bit of a rest if you don't have many females to one male, or she'll be exhausted from a string of serial pregnancies. Takes about 3 months for them to be 1/3 the size of adults. Takes about 3 weeks if I remember well for them to no longer be transparent and squiggle-like. Am still wsaiting for mine to grow to adult-size so I don't know how long it takes. My oldest ones are 3 m.o. now.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fergal Hunter said:
I can't see how many they are because they are hiding, the most I have seen at once is four.
How many should I expect and what do I do with them ???

I would be grateful for any help that can be given

thanks
What is your tank size and how many adult guppies do u have? Naturally Guppies will eat their own fries if not separated, but if u put heavy plantation in the tank some fries may survive. u can't sell your fries to any LFS, usually they don't take them, u have to keep your fries in your tank, which is a problem, your tank may get overstocked soon.
Gestation period for guppies is 28 days and they may give birth to 4-60 fries. fries may swim with their parents within 8-9 weeks.

OP
F

Fergal Hunter

Reaction score
Cool

I just read your Thread on beginners tips and found them quite handy, I will be getting a small hose tomorrow so I can vacuum the tank.
After about 3 weeks of them being transparent do they start to develop colours in their tails?
what are the most common colours?

I have 1 male who is red/black
2 females, the first is yellow/black and the other just has a black tail

what colours are yours?

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fergal Hunter said:
Cool

I just read your Thread on beginners tips and found them quite handy, I will be getting a small hose tomorrow so I can vacuum the tank.
After about 3 weeks of them being transparent do they start to develop colours in their tails?
what are the most common colours?

I have 1 male who is red/black
2 females, the first is yellow/black and the other just has a black tail

what colours are yours?
Ah, is it my beginners tip or armadillo's?

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
anyways, armadillo's links r not working I think, so i'm giving the answers, the most common colors in guppies r usually blue, black, green, silver and yellow. my females r mostly silver, black and yellow, and males r so colorful; they have so many color combinations.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me, Neville. They've stopped working since those big changes to the forum a couple of weeks ago. I can't seem to get to the page to change my signatures, though. Any idea? Used to be under profile, but I don't see it anymore.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
armadillo said:
Thanks for reminding me, Neville. They've stopped working since those big changes to the forum a couple of weeks ago. I can't seem to get to the page to change my signatures, though. Any idea? Used to be under profile, but I don't see it anymore.
HI armadillo, with the new setup, the URL for the thread of your topics have changed. If you copy and paste the address of your topics thread now into your sig, replacing the old URL, it will work. go to profile then forum profile info and then paste the URL of your topic in your signature again.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thanks, Neville. I know what you're saying about needing to change the signature after the new forum setup, but I am unable to get to the edit signature page now. Could you tell me what path you follow? Perhaps I am being blind and missing the option/button.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
armadillo said:
Thanks, Neville. I know what you're saying about needing to change the signature after the new forum setup, but I am unable to get to the edit signature page now. Could you tell me what path you follow? Perhaps I am being blind and missing the option/button.
Go to Profile then Forum Profile Info at the left and then u can change your sig.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Which link precisely. Mine's gone am sure. I've got:
Summary
Show Stats
Show Posts

Modify Profile
Account Related Settings
Forum Profile Information
Look and Layout Preferences
Notifications and Email
Personal Message Options

And none of them lead to changing my signature. Am sure it used to be under modify profile.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it's the third one forum profile information.
I don't understand.....when I go there I can change my sig, after changing the sig I click 'change profile'

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thanks, Neville!

But I dont' have hte 'chance profile' button on that screen. Whereabout is it (top left, right, etc.)?

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
armadillo said:
Thanks, Neville!

But I dont' have hte 'chance profile' button on that screen. Whereabout is it (top left, right, etc.)?
'Change Profiel' It's in the right bottom, I think your PC takes a little time to download all the buttons. sometimes it happens to me.

New Threads