Help My guppy has been pooping long, spiral-like whitish poop, and I'm unsure as to what it means!

Kierynn

Reaction score
Hi--I'm a beginner to fish keeping, and have had this tank for around 7 weeks now.
It's a 5.5 gallon with 3 male guppies... and recently I've become a bit concerned about the health of my little guys.

Over the last week or so, one of my guppies have started to poop longer, spiral-like whitish poop instead of the usual pink/brown shorter bits. Being new to fish and all, I was already storming over the internet for everything this could possibly mean... and the majority of what I found was in some way related to parasites... The thought of it certainly freaks me out, but I want to make sure I know exactly what it might be before I start rushing into water treatments like these sites suggest.

Now, my guppies have always appeared to be happy (both then, and now) being active around the tank, playful, eating well when fed... The only thing weird potentially is that the guppy I'm concerned about appears slightly more bloated (broader looking chest) compared to the others (has been like this since the day I purchased him). Below is an image of my bloated(?) guppy, along with his strange poop.

Guppy with bloated chest and white, stringy poo.

A little info on the tank if needed...

- I perform water changes once weekly.
- My guppies are fed a good pinch of flake food once every other day
- I actually added some live plants, if that affects anything?

In the end, thank you for taking the time to read this--and I hope you can help me in clarifying what might be wrong/needed to be done to help my guppies--if anything at all! Is this parasites? Something else? Can it be/should it be treated (whatever it may be)? If there's any other info you need, I'll be sure to answer!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seems like you have already done your research which is great. You are correct in assuming that it could be related to parasites. If His poo turns more clear I would say it most definitely is.
Have you added anything new to his diet that could have changed The color?
Unfortunately, sometimes when we add new plants it is possible for parasites to hitch a ride on them.
Keep your eye on him and watch his behavior, picking up some Levaimsole probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you do a hydrogen peroxide dip to rid your new plants of possible parasites / snails before putting them in the tank? I agree with above, could be parasites, but could also be digestive problems. Flake food floats at the top and when he eats, he could be gulping air too. Also, depending on the brand, the flake food might not be the best option. You should definitely vary their diet. I use flakes very uncommonly, I have guppy bites (tiny granules) and frozen brine shrimp and dried blood worms.

This guppy may need some peas. If you have frozen peas, put one in the microwave to warm it up. Peel it and crush the insides into very small pieces. The guppies will LOVE it and it helps with digestion. Then don’t feed him for a day or two and see if his tummy gets smaller.

OP
Kierynn

Kierynn

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
Seems like you have already done your research which is great. You are correct in assuming that it could be related to parasites. If His poo turns more clear I would say it most definitely is.
Have you added anything new to his diet that could have changed The color?
Unfortunately, sometimes when we add new plants it is possible for parasites to hitch a ride on them.
Keep your eye on him and watch his behavior, picking up some Levaimsole probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either
Thanks for your response!
Well, I had fed them all some carrot awhile back--but otherwise I've stuck to the flake food. Will definitely be keeping an eye on him for any changes, and I'll look into Levaimsole as well

OP
Kierynn

Kierynn

Reaction score
LivebearerMom said:
Did you do a hydrogen peroxide dip to rid your new plants of possible parasites / snails before putting them in the tank? I agree with above, could be parasites, but could also be digestive problems. Flake food floats at the top and when he eats, he could be gulping air too. Also, depending on the brand, the flake food might not be the best option. You should definitely vary their diet. I use flakes very uncommonly, I have guppy bites (tiny granules) and frozen brine shrimp and dried blood worms.

This guppy may need some peas. If you have frozen peas, put one in the microwave to warm it up. Peel it and crush the insides into very small pieces. The guppies will LOVE it and it helps with digestion. Then don’t feed him for a day or two and see if his tummy gets smaller.
When I had purchased the plant, the woman helping me said that a good rinse and clear for snail eggs would be fine. I had set the plant out separately from the tank for at least a day afterwards, and then placed it in. I definitely should have looked more into this, as I did end up with three snails... hopefully no more than that.

As for feeding, I use Omega One flakes. I will give the peas a try, and will look into changing their diet! Thank you for responding!

MEWaters said:
agree with everything mentioned..
do you have a sand substrate?
Yes, I have about an inch and a half to 2 inches worth of sand for the substrate.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could try raising the temperature in the meantime and doing more frequent water changes. Depending what is going on, the warmer temp will shorten the lifespan of a potential parasite and maintaining a higher water quality is always beneficial

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom