My Guppy Died After Water Change! Why?

1. R

Rack Valued Member Member

I have two guppies, 1 male and 1 female, 3 days ago I set up my planted 15 galon tank and added the substrate and plants, in the process I completely drained the tank, I put the guppies where the tank got cloudy a bit but they were fine, as of now I decided to do about 50% water change to remove that earthy smell from the substrate, plus I added a driftwood which I did NOT cured or boiled it, I just rinsed it with tap water.

The female guppy seemed fine, 1 hour later I saw her spinning and swimming in a weird way as if she got stung by something, then she sat in a corner and stopped moving, I remarked her left eye turned completely black, then she died. The male guppy seem to be completely fine and healthy.

2. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

You didn't cycle the tank, and probably a different gh

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    R

I did cycled it, I forgot to mention the tank was already established for 2 months but it was bare bottom so I completely drained it off and added the substrate. The filter media are cycled. Different what? Ph?

Advertisement

4. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

You changed out too much water in a too little time frame is my guess. Try and limit water changes to 25% or so, only do a 50% wc if you think you need to. You definitely didn't need to in this case.

I will also note something else as well. You say you set up your tank 3 days ago? Did you add any products such as Tetra Safe Start to start the cycle? Do you know what the cycle is? I would explain but it's near impossible for me to explain it in layman's terms so I'd advise you to look it up. Look up 'Nitrogen Cycle' in your search engine. It is essential that you have a working cycle, otherwise your fish will become ill and die.

Also, this really isn't the issue at hand but it's still important, guppies require 1 male to every 2 or 3 females. The males constantly chase the females in an effort to mate with them. Of course if all this attention is directed at one female she will become quite stressed and may be more prone to disease. I would also advise keeping only males in the future as they will breed like rabbits, and they will overcrowd a 15 gallon very quickly.

5. Supreme Sawk

Since you cycled the tank, did you check your parameters? The cycle could easily be going out of whack, it's not uncommon in new cycles.

It could have also been a disease. Where did you buy the fish from?

6. Supreme Sawk

Also, gH is the hardness i.e. how many/much metal/s you have in your water if I'm not mistaken.

7. OP
    OP
    R

Yes the tank is cycled and I know about the nitrogen cycle, and yes the male was constantly chasing the female just about all the time, I thought they where playing or something, I couldn't tell, he was also nipping at her. The guppy at first, before adding the male aborted all the frys for some reason, then a month later after I added the male guppy she gave birth to only 1 fry also she seemed puffed, not sure what happened to the rest, I checked the filter and there weren't any frys in there.

8. OP
    OP
    R

How am I supposed to know how many metals I have ? I added root tabs in the substrate, does that affects it?

9. Supreme Sawk

I don't mean to be disrespectful as we all have to start somewhere but you haven't done much research on guppies have you? I'll educate you a bit:

Guppies (more specifically females) eat their own fry if they can. Guppies are opportunists. If they can find something that fits in their mouths and tastes edible then they will eat it. Even if it's one of their own. This can often be mitigated by having hiding places in the tank. At least a few fry will survive that way, usually more. Mine have been around fry so much that they don't even bother them any more. Considering your tank was barebottom the fry probably had nowhere to hide and were eaten by the mother. The same most likely happened again, except this time 1 fry has managed to survive so far. You mean what exactly when you say 'she seemed puffed'?

Also, he probably wasn't nipping at her. The way they mate involves the male swimming under the abdomen, getting very close to the female and inserting his gonopodium (the male's modified anal fin) into her where he releases sperm, and you know what happens after that. It could be easily mistaken for nipping.

As for measuring your gH, you can get the test kit for that. Usually it's not an issue (I don't have one), but in your case it might be worth testing it. Also, as for the root tabs, if the plants aren't eating all of it then they certainly will affect the gH.

10. Supreme Sawk

Also, make sure you get the liquid test kit, don't waste your money on strips.

11. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks for clearing it our for me. So basically she died out of stress? If it's something to do with ammonia or nitrite poisoning how come the other guppy didn't die?

12. Supreme Sawk

Not necessarily. I still maintain that you probably changed too much water which changed the parameters too much. Chemical reactions happen in your water, and the pH and others change and become sometimes very different from the tap water. Add too much tap water and you change the parameters too much, too quickly. Fish are much more sensitive than humans, one little change of something and they will die. Like I said before, make sure you only do 25% water changes. Only do a 50% water change if you think you really need to. 25% should stop anything drastic from happening.

As for the ammonia and nitrite thing, some guppies are hardier and more resistant than others. Inbreed them too much and they will die to a pH change of 0.2. Keep the gene pool diverse and they will become bulletproof and survive massive pH swings and ammonia and nitrite spikes. This is one of the problems of selective breeding, it often involves inbreeding which leads to the fish becoming weaker and less resistant to swings and spikes. That's why when/if I ever do selective breeding I will add new genes (i.e. an unrelated fish) every few generations to keep the fish relatively hardy and healthy enough to survive any minor swings or spikes without any permanent damage. Often times chain store guppies come from what I like to call Guppy Mills. They basically are left to breed with whoever they want and end up getting terrible genes from uncontrolled breeding and diseases from being ridiculously overcrowded. That's often what leads to them dying on you or succumbing to the most minor change. Where did you buy your guppies from?

13. OP
    OP
    R

I got the male one from a reputable LFS, and the female from a not a well known LFS. I'm not from the US, there is no petmart or petco. Thanks for your help, I'll keep in mind to only do a 25% water change a week or once every 2 weeks, considering my plant is planted now, some advised me I won't need more than 25% water change a month.

14. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you only have one female guppy and one male guppy?
    If yes I would say she died from stress of the male gupppy. Male guppy's can and will harass a single female guppy to death. It's why many say you should do two females for every one male guppy. As long as your parameters are the same from your tank to your tap a larger water change won't kill fish. I do 50% water changes once a week on my tanks.

15. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think the water changed killed the guppy, likely stress and being bullied did.

16. Supreme Sawk

There's the problem.

Sorry but I disagree here, while I'd agree it'd definitely contribute to her being run down I would have to disagree with your proposal that it's the sole cause. As long as no physical damage is done the female won't simply die from the male chasing her. The way she'd die is from contracting a disease from being stressed. That may have happened but considering that the fish experienced a full water change and another 50% only a few days later that's a more likely cause imo. I say this because the OP says he uses root tabs, which could and probably has changed the water chemistry if the plants haven't eaten all of it. Add that to two drastic water changes and you get an explanation. Which brings me to another question.

Also, bullying is the wrong term, as the male isn't doing it out of aggression and he has no intent to harm in any way shape or form.

@Rack How long were the two guppies together?

17. OP
    OP
    R

About a month.

18. Supreme Sawk

In that case, it's safe to say that she was very stressed and the excessive change of parameters finished her off. Sorry for your loss.

Next time, make sure you have 2 or 3 females to every male, and this shouldn't happen again. Good luck.

Advertisement