My guppy and shrimp breeding tank thoughts

jkkgron2

Well Known
Are those plants live or fake? Shrimp will need live plants and both them and guppy fry will benefit from the micro organisms in the plants. My only other concern/thought is the guppies will probably eat the baby shrimp.

OP
Aquagreg

Aquagreg

They are fake plants.The middle one is very dense. I am afraid to put my floating pond plants into the tank at the risk of inviting pests into the tank.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Aquagreg said:
They are fake plants.The middle on is very dense. I am afraid to put my floating pond plants into the tank at the risk of inviting pests into the tank.
You could order some Marino moss balls on amazon. They’re great for fish and shrimp, plus they look pretty nice. If you quarantined the pond plants for 2 weeks and still didn’t see any pests or unwanted critters I would say you’re good to go.

OP
Aquagreg

Aquagreg

Any other live plant you would suggest since I am getting the guppies tomorrow.

OP
Aquagreg

Aquagreg

Will the guppies eat the mosquito larva from the floating plants?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Aquagreg said:
Will the guppies eat the mosquito larva from the floating plants?
The adult ones might, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to leave the plants floating in a separate container for a day so you can look more closely before adding them to the tank :)

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Aquagreg said:
What do you think of the update to my breeding tank?
Personal opinion, you need thick moss like java moss or hornwort. So not only the shrimp have a chance to hide from adult guppies but also the guppy fry.

Also I recommend only live plants with shrimp as they thrive on the biofilm

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
I have guppies and shrimp. In this tank mixed together you'll see very few of each.
Shrimp need more cover to feel secure, they will hide from guppies. Guppies are notorious pigs and once they realize there are shrimp snacks they will likely hunt them. Guppies will also eat thier own fry. There are not enough cover for fry to last long.
I let my guppies have thier fry in a dense jungle of floating anacharis. I net them out right away. My other fish will eventually find them and eat them if I don't. I then let the fry grow in my shrimp tank for a month or so, by that size they are getting curious of the shrimp, and I would loose shrimp if I let them stay longer. Then they go to a grow out tank.

You can make a mixed tank work, but without more cover, and live plants, wood, floating plants... etc, you will not have much success.

New Threads