My Guppies May Have Fin Rot, Please Advise! Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by tbuck099, Apr 19, 2019.

1. tbuck099New MemberMember

Image1555730994.733376.jpg

Hi all,

I have a 10g tank with around 7.2 ph, no nitrates or ammonia present (recently primed and checked), consistent water changes 25-30% once a week, and temp at 76 degrees. 4 guppies (1 female, 3 male which I know is not ideal but the females the tank bully which helps her) and one dalmatian molly. I noticed that one of my male guppies (black yingyang) in particular has gotten some fin rot, which might have spread to my other white ying yang guppy but not as bad. my baby cobra guppy seems fine, but my only female yellow tailed guppy is losing some serious color on her tail. Was wondering if this is an early sign of fin rot and some advice on what to do. Since suspecting it, I’ve changed around 30% of the water and have been putting melafix in once or twice a day. Any help diagnosing would be great.

2. Pat93Valued MemberMember

My girlfriend got two males and two females and we had to separate one of the males because the other male would pick on him and started destroying his fins. Most bullying occurs at night when your not watching.
    We separated the guppy with damaged fins and treated them for a bacterial infection
    From my understanding What happens is the fins get damaged and then the fish will develop an infection which could spread to the other fish. We also treated the main tank as a precaution and because lots of people do this once a year anyway.
    That’s as far as we’ve gotten but once the guppy is healed we won’t be putting him back into the same tank in case the other male bullies him again.

Someone who knows more about guppies could probably help you more but that’s what I think at a glance. You may also be able to remove the males without treating and if they improve it means a tank mate was stressing them.

If your straight just looking for suggestions on what to use for fin rot then arithromycin is what I use. Or if you don’t have scaleless fish,shrimp, or snails then tetra lifeguard could work. It treats many things so if it turns out not to be fin rot then you might still end up treating whatever it really is

If your certain there is no bully you could treat the main tank but just be careful as certain medicines can mess up your cycle/ build up in your tank.

One thing that helped me figure out my white clouds were having fin problems, look down on the fish from above and if they never rest their fins flat on their body (and they are supposed to rest them there) then something is bothering their flippers . I noticed that in white clouds with fin rot before their tails even start to go, so In my experience that is an “early” sign and perhaps it also applies to other fish

Also did you mean no nitrites? No nitrates is not ideal

Just read that melafix is a bacterial treatment. I’ve never used that but thats pretty much the same as the other medicine I suggested. The tetra lifeguard is just more “broad spectrum” so if you keep having problems after using melafix then my guess is unseen aggression and in that case it won’t matter how much you dose they will keep nipping fins until you plop some more females in. Again I just got into guppies so I’ve done a bit of research and am currently raising fry but I am relatively new as well so take all I say with a grain of salt

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  3. tbuck099New MemberMember

Thank you so much for your in depth follow-up on this! I just checked everything in my water and it’s good. The nitrate level could be anywhere from 0-20ppm, but I know it is not dangerously high which is fine with me at the moment being a new fish owner and trying to deal with some of the sick guppies. I don’t think my female bully is causing damage, because she typically only bullies during feeding and will linger for another 15 minutes or so after being aggressive. And it will only go after my white one. It’s kind of a toss up of whether I want to risk introducing another female guppy if there are some sick in the tank.

The fish aren’t lethargic or showing signs of changed behavior. Additionally the fins of my guppies seem to be on the mend (not getting worse and I see some rebuild on my white guppy) after treatment the past few days with the water changes, Melafix, and a tad less food than usual. I appreciate your response and I will keep you updated. I will be monitoring very closely!

4. Pat93Valued MemberMember

If everything’s improving then I would say your on the right course to getting your tank back to where you prefer it:)
    Then once everything is healthy you could try balancing your male female ratio and that would maybe help prevent future aggression that leads to fin rot.
    But fish are so persnickety maybe when all of your fish are feeling good again the tank will return to its normal dynamic with no need to add anything you don’t want too.
    My girlfriends beta sorority has been working out really well for her for months despite me telling her that it would be a tornado of death on day one so fish aggression and male to female ratios are wildly misunderstood is really what I’m getting at, and if your tank works good for you when everyone is healthy then that’s all that matters.