My Guppies Keep Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Noni Dawn, Jun 16, 2018.

1. N

Noni Dawn New Member Member

my tank is a 10 gallon and I had 6 guppies. They did great until about 10 days ago. One day they are fine and the next they are dead. I have taken my water into PetSmart and Petco at different times. My water is good they tell me. I do 25% water changes once a week. I replace the fish and in a few days they are dead too...HELP!

2. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Did you cycle the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    N

Iā€™m not sure what that means

4. Raizinhell

Ah, and thus we have found the problem. Your guppies are presumably dying from ammonia poisoning because your tank hasnt undergone the nitrogen cycle. Click on the word cycle to learn more.

5. OP
    OP
    N

I did have the tank setup without fish for a week and had the water tested before I added any fish. They said my water was good to go

6. Raizinhell

Sometimes "they" are incompetent. You could bring them tap water and they will say, its all good.

7. OP
    OP
    N

I ordered the API liquid test kit that I read about in the forum. That should give me an accurate result right?

8. Raizinhell

Thats a good starting point. It will help you track the progress of your cycle. Once you have nitrates in your tank with zero ammonia and zero nitrites, you can safely add fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice