My guppies get doomed if I turn off my light

Murderface the fish :P

I got quite an odd scenario happening with my tank. I have 3, almost 5 year old piranhas and a rhino pleco in my 90g, I decided to throw in a bunch of guppies in hopes of making it look good, and to clean up the small bits from the piranha feeding. It is all going good, I had a couple batches of babies doing really healthy, except for when I turn off my tank light, which apparently causes all my adult guppies to disappear along with a good amount of babies. I was totally expecting to lose all the guppies, but I am very curious if anybody could shed some light on why this would be happening almost strictly at night.
Thanks.

A201

That's a pretty wild mix, Lol. Guppies would normally fall into the feeder fish category for Piranha.
I don't think there's going to be a sure fire answer for the continued preservation of the Guppies.
If the lack of light is truly contributing to the nocturnal predation, you might consider using the lunar light setting all night & see how that goes.

That's a pretty wild mix, Lol. Guppies would normally fall into the feeder fish category for Piranha.
I don't think there's going to be a sure fire answer for the continued preservation of the Guppies.
If the lack of light is truly contributing to the nocturnal predation, you might consider using the lunar light setting all night & see how that goes.
I should have specified that it also happens with my blue light too yes, but that would make sense. I was totally expecting them to get eaten but I was just interested why it's with the dark.

A201

It's really cool that you've had some success with the unusual combination.

StarGirl

I thought Piranha would eat everything living. Even the Pleco. Who knew?

Mcasella

Rhino plecos can be predatory and do get big enough to eat smaller fish whole, but i would honestly check the filter you have for bits and pieces.

SparkyJones

Hard to say, the rhino pleco does eat some meat. Its an omnivore, and it's nocturnal and should be pretty active in the dark.

The piranha are diurnal but being predators have an interesting eye they can see Color, it reflects low light at night and can see dark water as red and pick out solid objects in the water.. it also works as monocular being able to see sharply at long distances. They are designed to be opportunistic and detect larger objects like Caimen or bigger fish that could eat them at night and get out of the way, even their lateral line will tell them something have moved in nearby and they can see it in the dark, and technically they could pick out a small sleeping guppy that drifts too close and pick it off since it was an easy snack.

Could be either one or both fish really. The guppies go to sleep at night and drift about and are easy pickings for both of your fish species which both can be active at night.

I thought Piranha would eat everything living. Even the Pleco. Who knew?
He always leaves his stomach down, smart little guy. if anything he seems to scare the piranhas more.
Rhino plecos can be predatory and do get big enough to eat smaller fish whole, but i would honestly check the filter you have for bits and pieces.
I checked the first time it happened, and there was nothing oddly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kysarkel000
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
Annie424
Replies
Views