My guppies don't seem to get along...

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by mcurtissdsu, Apr 12, 2010.

1. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

My guppies don't seem to like each other anymore...they constantly look like are nipping one another's fins and they keep chasing each other around.

This just started suddenly after my other guppy died three weeks ago. Does anybody know why they would stop getting along?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

space problems? boys can be nippy... mine did it for a couple of days.

3. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

What is your ratio of males to females? If you have just one male and one female, your male is likely harrassing your female to mate. You'll want to keep a close eye on them if that is the case. I've had male guppies harrass a female to death before. If it's two males, they're likely re-establishing their pecking order after the other one died, so it should settle down in a bit. Same thing goes for two females.

The best ratio for guppies (or any livebearers for that matter) is 1 male for every two females, but really, the more females, the better. UNLESS you want to do an all male grouping, which works pretty well (I had a group of males and they were fine).

You are aware that your angelfish is going to outgrow your tank VERY soon, right? They get to be 6" long and 9-10" tall when they reach maturity and grow VERY fast. Just giving you a head's up.

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I assumed it was 2 boy guppies.

5. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

i was thinking 2 males also, if they are mutually chasing one another

6. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I don't know. My female guppies can get pretty nasty. They killed two neons while I watched. :;dk

7. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Yes, they are two male guppies. They don't seem to be hurting each other so I guess I will just let them figure it out.

And yes, I know now that my angel needs a bigger tank. I didn't know that when I bought him. I am moving into a new apartment on the 20th and I will be setting up a 29 gallon tank for him. He is only about 1.5" right now. I didn't know I needed a bigger tank until recently so I decided to just wait until I move.

8. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I was just making sure about the angelfish. I know a lot of pet stores and fish stores sell them and don't tell people how big they get (my LFS was convinced they didn't any bigger than the 2" ones they had in their tanks, but then they got a breeding pair in that someone exchanged and they're massive).

9. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the concern :) You are very right about the LFS not always being very knowledgeable. My boyfriend bought me a 10 gallon tank for Christmas. I set it up, let it run overnight, and then went to the store to buy my fish.

I told the girl I had just set up a 10 gallon tank the night before and I picked out 2 angelfish, 4 guppies and a pleco for my 10 gallon. She said they would all be fine in there and that as long as I had let the filter run for 24 hours, the fish would be fine.

I now know how little she actually knew....

I'm left with 2 guppies and an angelfish and, after stumbling upon FishLore and becoming more educated, have been trying to get my tank to cycle since December. I've had to treat with two doses of Levamisole HCl for camallanus worms which restarted the cycle both times.

I don't know how Floyd, my angel, has made it this far but I'm so glad he has. He's just the sweetest little thing. I will be giving him a much bigger home very shortly. I think I can get it set up on the 20th or 21st and then as soon as it's cycled, in he goes! Eventually I would like to get him a friend but...one step at a time.

10. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i have four male guppies, they are all in Q together. well for some reason, two of them were chasing and harassing the pretty yellow one. they wouldn't stop. after a couple days i just exchanged the yellow one for another kind of guppy and things have gone pretty smoothly. they're all seeming well adjusted. :) keep an eye out. they might just be doing that pecking order thing.

11. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Yeah that must be it...Rainbow established his rank in the pecking order really quickly and it didn't seem like the other two really tried to challenge him for it. They're not letting the power go as easily this time LOL. I'm rooting for Squeegee! He's a bit smaller than Sherbert but his dances are much fancier ;)

12. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Well the guppies have been fighting even worse in the 29 gallon than they did in the 10 gallon. I'm sure it's because they have to reestablish the pecking order again now that they are in a new tank. I came home for lunch today and saw that Squeegee has a little hole in his tail, the exact same size as Sherbert's mouth :mad: Little jerk...

Anyway, I don't know if they're ever going to stop fighting. Now I'm really worried because I didn't think they were actually biting each other before. I might have to set the 10 gallon back up and put Sherbert in there. I'm going to keep a close eye on them. They've been in there since 04/26 so I would think they would have figured it out by now but I guess not...

13. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

maybe u should get them some girlfriends? my males never fight, but theres only 2 of them and 5 females for them to chose from

14. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to get females...I wouldn't be able to set up a breeding tank or take care of the fry. I have an angelfish but if he didn't eat all the fry, I would quickly be overstocked. Also, the best ratio of males to females is 1:2 and I don't have room for 4 female guppies as I plan on adding a school of cories once my tank finishes cycling.

15. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

if they are constantly fighting then its probably best to separate them. Long term stress can make them susceptible to disease.

16. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I had 3 male guppies in one of my 20's. On kept getting harrassed by the other two so I moved him out. Of course, that gave the remaining two nothing to do but chase each other. I added my gourami and the guppies settled down.
    Fish..go figure. lol

17. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

LOL I know, they think they're so tough but they're so tiny. It seems like things have calmed down since I noticed the nip in Squeegee's tail. Maybe that was Sherbert's victory nip, haha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice