My Guppies died after changing water and adding gravels and ornament.

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Anji13, Jul 22, 2015.

1. A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

I have 10 gallon fish tank and I bought 4 guppies, 2 males and 2 females 10 days before. They were ok until yesterday when I changed partial water and added some gravels and a ornament in tank. As my two female guppies were pregnant and I did not want to use breeder tank, I added ornament to create some hiding places for fry.

But in 1 day, 3 of them died 2females and a male. And the remaining one is not stable, he keeps swimming fast near walls of the tank.

Why my guppies died? Is it wrong to add these things after setting fishes up in tank?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Sorry you lost your fish, do you have a test kit to test your water?
    When you changed the water did you remember to use conditioner & was the gravel & new ornament made for use in aquariums?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Was your tank cycled before you added the fish?

What are the pH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels of your tank? You can test these using an API Master Freshwater Kit, or by taking a water sample to your local fish store (but if you take a water sample to your LFS, ask for the exact readings for each - don't let them tell you they're "fine" or "good" or "bad").

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Was that your fist time doing a water change? Test your tap and make sure it is similar if not the same as your tank water in terms of pH and hardness.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Is your tank cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :D

Agree with the above questions from other posters. ^^ Also, did you rinse the gravel and ornaments really well before putting them into the tank?

7. Nympxzie

this is super important!!! Also sniff your tank water...sounds weird....but there have been stories of tank water smelling like spray paint/plastic/etc after a new decoration has been added. Just because it says "for aquarium use" doesn't mean it's always safe (which is really disappointing that factory standards and screening is that poor).

8. OP
    OP
    A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

I changed water yesterday at first and then the one of the two pregnant females died. Until evening two more died. I never use water test kit, I have one more 5 gallon tank since 1 year and nothing happened so I don't have the kit. Is it that important?

I rinsed gravels and cleaned tunnel ornament before keeping it in tank. The water do not smell like a paint. I feel really bad as this was first time I had two guppies pregnant and I was waiting for babies. I have tetras in my 5 gallon tank but they don't replicate.

9. Nympxzie

You should really invest in a liquid test kit like the API master test kit it's essential to all fish keepers.

Tetra are hard to breed they require particular water quality to spawn where as guppies breed like rabbits.

10. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Did you use a water conditioner for chlorine?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice