My Guppies Are Sick, Need Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4077girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my tank running since July this year. I did a fishless cycle. I have 5 male guppies, and a rabbit snail. Lots of plants. For the last week one of my guppies is spending ~80% of the time sitting on the bottom next to the heater. He comes up to eat (and seems to swim fine), and sometimes comes up st other times to swim around and pick at the plant (acting normally) but then goes back to the corner. He was always the bossy/aggressive fish. He is eatin great, but looks thinner than he used to. He is also less vibrant colour.

Another of my guppies is staying with his nose at the surface and very skinny. I’m actually not sure how long he has been this way because I have two that look the same and I usually just check how they’re doing by noticing if they’re all eating when I feed them, or doing a head count and didn’t put it together that he is ALWAYS at the top. I also noticed he didn’t really eat much today, but I think I would have assumed he was if I wasn’t paying close attention to him since he’s swimming around at the top (as if he is eating) all the time! But he’s very skinny. He’s swimming around, but not below the surface. He is able to swim below the surface and doesn’t seem to struggle, he just doesn’t (or only very very rarely).

I lost a guppy about a month and a half ago. He seemed to be tangled in a string attaching a plant to a rock, but I’m not 100% sure. I was out of town before that, and my husband doesn’t noice the fish other than feeding them. So we didn’t know if he acted strange before passing or how long he was dead, but he was partly eaten.

A few weeks ago I introduced a new guppy. But the next day he was acting very off, and by the time I got him back to the store it was like some of his organs or a worm was coming out of the side of his body. I returned him and didn’t get any more fish since thing because I didn’t know if he was contagious.

I’m also losing shrimp in my other tank, so I don’t know if it could be something in my tap water, but all my parameters are perfect.

My other two guppies are both acting fine.

I don’t know what to do. The fish are less than a year old, so I don’t think it’s old age. The two don’t seem to have the same symptoms other than they are both losing weight. I wouldn’t even know where to start as far as treating them for something. I don’t want to lose my other two fish, and hope there’s something I can do for the two sick ones (though I doubt it...).

I have an air stone, HOB filter, heater (lowered from 78-76 when the first fish got sick) haven’t changed filter media. Did a water change a few days ago.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 (before wc)
Ph: 7.4 (always has been)
Kh: 2
Gh: 9
Temp: 76

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!