My guppies are fighting

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by AntRyan10, Jul 16, 2015.

1. AntRyan10New MemberMember

Hey guys, so I'm a new fish owner and only got 2 male guppies yesterday (1 x cobra guppy, 1 x blue guppy). They were both fine and dandy all of yesterday swimming around in their new tank. However I have just come home today and the red one is just sitting at the top of the water hardly moving. After watching them for a while, it's become clear that the blue one keeps going after him and nipping his tail. I can't remember if his tail was like it yesterday, but I've enclosed a picture of it currently. Can anyone tell me whether this will just blow over, or should I separate them?

Many thanks!

fish.JPG

2. babynemo

babynemoValued MemberMember

What size tank do you have?
    Males will nip at each other to establish a pecking order.
    And will continue to nip if you do not have 2-3 females per male or at least six males in the tank.
    They are trying to become "king of the tank".

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What tank size are they in?

4. OP
    OP
    A

AntRyan10New MemberMember

They're in a 3 gallon tank. So are you suggesting to get some females?

5. babynemo

babynemoValued MemberMember

That's too small for guppies. I wouldn't house them in anything smaller than a ten gallon tank.
    I would suggest taking the fish back to the pet store until you have a bigger, cycled tank.

Edit: I am so done with you two, lol. Dom90 & ClearEyes

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well now that we know what tank size, first suggestion would be to get a bigger tank. 3 gallons is way too small for 2 fish, let alone 1 fish.

Edit: ninja'd twice in a row by babynemo

7. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

3 gallons is way too small. Even for just 2 guppies, you need at least a 10 gallon. That is probably why the one guppy is getting super aggressive.

EDIT: double ninja'd! :;nin2

8. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Yep I'd say upgrade to a 10g asap. I kept 5 male fancy guppies in a 10g and it seemed to keep them in good spirits. There was occasional chasing, but none ever hurt each other. The 3G is just way too small for them, so they're crowded, stressed, and one is taking it out on the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I have 3 males (1 cobra 1 tuxedo and 1 fancy) in my 36 gallon bowfront. They do not nip each other. Some chasing but they seem to hang out with each other constantly and get along well. Looks like your issue, like everyone else has said, is you have too small of a tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice