My Gravel Ok For Bandit Cory's?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MelanieM, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MelanieM

MelanieM New Member Member

Hi.

I'm stocking my 140L tank. Already have 2 pearl gouramis who are good friends, small school of tetras, and a bristlenose pleco.

Am wanting to add some bandit cory's and read variety of opinions on substrate. Some say sand, others say gravel is ok.

Have attached a pic of my gravel. Any feedback on whether this will be ok for them to sift around in?

Thanks Screenshot_20180415-092845.jpg Screenshot_20180415-093013.jpg

2. j

johnbetta Well Known Member Member

hi if u was doing the fish you keep i would use sand not gravel cheers john

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, although corys would prefer sand, as long as the gravel isn’t too sharp they should be ok on it. Rub some of the gravel between your fingers to see if feels overly rough or has too sharp edges.
    It’s not so much the type of substrate that causes barbel loss it’s more often caused by poor water quality/dirty substrate.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  4. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, Love your tank, the wood & stones really look good together & the free swimming space you have is great. Re the substrate as @Coradee says above if you can rub it between your fingers without discomfort it shouldn't cause your BN & Corys when you get them any issues as long as you keep it well gravel vacced.

5. OP
    OP
    MelanieM

MelanieM New Member Member

Thanks. Doesn't feel too sharp. Will get some cory's and if I see any issues I'll return them. Will be sure to do good gravel cleans

Thanks for tank feedback
    Have put lots of time and research in. Will try the cory's and return if it feels like they are not happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice