My Gourami is turning black!!

1. k8ybug9 Initiate Member

My honey gourami is turning black (see pic). It seems to be fine otherwise (eating, activity, etc...). I noticed about a week ago that the edges of the back and bottom fins were darker but thought maybe that was just something that develops as they grow. I didn't notice it getting any worse until today. This doesn't seem normal anymore. There is one other honey gourami in the tank and it seems fine. I don't know if they are male or female. What is going on and how do I fix it?

[​IMG]

2. alexaquatics Initiate Member

What are the water parameters? It might be ammonia scarring

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Not trying to be a pessimist, but it could be iridovirus. If it is, it is incurable and 100% fatal so there is nothing you can do if it is. I hope it isn't so good luck if it isn't.
    ~Mudkipz

4. k8ybug9 Initiate Member

Using the API test kit my ammonia levels appear to be 0-0.25 ppm (It's inbetween the colors).
    What is iridovirus? Is my other fish at risk? Do I need to separate them?

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Honey gouramis don't usually get iridovirus, and I don't think turning black is one of the symptoms. DoubleDutch?

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I think it is maturing / "natural" coloring and maybe even matingcolor. These aren't prone to DGD.
    Please give them some floating plants.

7. k8ybug9 Initiate Member

Ok the strangest thing...and might make me sound crazy...but I just checked on them again the black coloring is almost completely gone. Could the coloring be mating behavior? I'm not sure if they're male and/or female.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Honeys and DG's do get a black throat then. Don't know for this colormorph

9. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

One of my honey gourami has similar comes & goes darkening. I don't know what it is, but mine seems otherwise fine.

10. renegadefish Member Member

Those look like the thick lipped honey fires.. I have a couple of them as well as some sunset honeys... The black on the throat is from being "in season" from what I know... Im usually means it's a male and will tend to happen after the fish fully aclimate and get comfy in the tank.. My sunset honey male got that way after being in my tank for a short time and I eventually had fry...

11. renegadefish Member Member

[​IMG] here is my sunset honey male...

12. renegadefish Member Member

[​IMG] one of my thick lipped honey fire. Not much black markings on these guys

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

The black throat means he is in matingmood.

14. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Oh ok. I though that honeys were a type of dwarf gourami XD I thought that any gourami can get iridovirus and it might be different in honeys, but my dwarf gourami turned black towards the back of its body and died shortly after, I know it was iridovirus because it was bloated and had lesions on it's skin.
    ~Mudkipz

15. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

My flame hg has the exact same coloring along his body. I originally freaked out, thinking it was internal bleeding and bruising, before I figured out its just a natural coloration change for them.
    I've noticed when the black is real intense, his tail turns a light blue.

16. k8ybug9 Initiate Member

Whew! That scared me...I thought for sure he was doomed.

While we're at it can anyone recommend any good tank mates for these two? They're only in a 10 gal.