my goldfish :(

1. Caligo'sKeeper Member Member

I don't know where to start this, but Caligo, my oranda, does not seem well lately. :( She's not very active, she rests and swims about 50-50 and she floats upsidedown now pretty much everytime after she eats, no matter what or hom much I feed her. At first it only happened off and on with pellets and freeze dried food but I stopped giving those a while ago and now it happens even with flakes and peas. :( I also noticed that she has a dark spot on her side... it had been a little dark spot that she had for a long time, (I'm not sure when I noticed it first, at least a year ago if not longer...I thought it was just a dark scale or something) but lately I noticed the spot seems bigger and like it's pushing up her scales a litttle from underneath... I think maybe it's a tumor or something internal... is there anything I can do? :(

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If it is in fact a tumor, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to treat it. The best you can do is to keep your fish comfortable for as long as you can, and when it seems to be suffering, you'll know what needs to be done. :(

If you suspect another illness (something that is treatable), try posting a pic and hopefully someone who is better than I am with disease diagnosis can help you determine what to do. Sorry your goldie isn't feeling well, my fingers are crossed for you.

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no! sorry she isnt doing well :( the floating upside down is Swim Bladder (its not a disease and is treatable)... When i had goldies i used to dip the food in garlic juice and let it soak for a good minute or two. Then i just added it to the tank and i never had it happen. A tumor like harpua2002 said, may not be treatable. Ive only heard of treatable tumors if they are on the outside (fins, etc) but not internal ones. Sorry :(

Like harpua said do your best to keep her comfortable.
    Orandas IMO are very suceptible to disease because of how delicate their Wen is and the deformities they've gone through... :;dk

4. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Sorry that Caligo isn't feeling well. Hope she gets well soon. You and her will be in our thoughts. Great advice above. Please keep us updated. :console: