My Goldfish Has ICH

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks ldbrown..... I am using Ick Guard. Temp is 83, yes i have been doing a vac with about 25-30% water change every day since i started the meds. What can i do to fix this problem? Is this deadly to my Pleco?

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would now stop the Ick Guard and treat with Maracyn or Maracyn II. Lower temp back to 80 and keep doing daily water changes. I would only change 10 - 20% daily water change. What type filter do you use?

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a Fungus Eliminator here, its good for serious fungus and Bacteria. Would this help? and how long should i treat with this? Also i notice that my water is still cloudy....what could be causing this?...would it be safe to do a full water change right now?...

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Follow the directions, figure 10 days for treatment. Cloudy water is due to your biological filter being upset by the medications. You should be using some Amquel to help keep the ammonia in check. I wouldn't recommend a full water change, that will be too hard on Mr. Pleco.

What type filter do you have?

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks so much for your help u have been great...... I have a Aqua Tech filter.....So your telling me to stop Ick Guard and Start Fungus Eliminator...Right ? how many vacs should i do a week? with how much water change?

The ick only droped off of my Pleco 1-2 days ago....is it safe to stop the ick guard yet?

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you take any carbon out of your filter. it will absorb the meds before they do your fish any good. You need a plain filter insert. Stop the Ick Guard now, switch to the other med. Vac the gravel well and change 10% of your water everyday for 10 days. Keep the fungus meds going for 10 days. Temp at 80. Make sure you are getting good water movement throughout tank.

Finally, I would add 1 tsp of plain salt per gallon of water. This will help fight the ick and help the fish with regenerating it's slime coat.

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1 tsp per gallon won't hurt. You can't even taste that small amount. If you are concerned, add 1/2 that amount.

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok i will try it... ty for all your help, i will keep u updated

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok so i done a gravel vac and 15% water change, and added meds....my water is VERY cloudy and dirty looking....will this settle after awhile? Or once i replaces my filter?

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
WOW im seeing a very big change in my Pleco...Hes doing alot better then yesterday...Hes up and on the go eating again and his tanteculs r lookg much better aswell.....Thanks so much for all your help!! This site is great

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fantastic! I'm glad everything worked out well for Mr/Ms. Pleco. Now, continue with meds for a few days more to make sure everything is OK. Oncee you are finished with meds, make sure you put a carbon filter back in the water, it will remove residual medicine, keep up with weekly 15 - 20% water changes and regular filter maintenance.

When you are ready for more fish, add them slowly, 1 or 2 per week. I always keep my fish in a separate tank for a week or more before adding them to the community. Good luck.

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update My pleco seems to be doing really well, i have replaced my filter, but my water is still very cloudy....Any ideals how i can fix this problem?

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep up with water changes, your filter will have to cycle again. When you discontinue the medicines you will see the water begin to clear. It will take a few days, be patient.

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I recently added a new filter...seems as if there was something wrong with my old filter....WOW!! what a change, my water is really clear, Mr Pleco is doin great. I have added 2 new fish to my tank and they r doin great aswell...I have added a few pics to my profile...take a look!! Thanks for all your help.
Another question... I have a 20 Gallon tank...how many fish should i put in there? So its not over crowded...Right now i only have 1 Pleco, 1 Black Moore and 1 Comet....

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
# of fish varies with size of fish, type of fish, etc That is a difficult question to answer w/o more info. What fish are you interested in keeping?

Be careful adding fish, take it slow, fishkeeping is not a race, let your aquarium cycle and re-establish a bio filter. Limit yourself to 2 fish per week till it is fully stocked.

nadine

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im not sure if anyone can help me, but here goes....I have been getting a bad smell from my tank, its like a earthy or moldy smell...I think it might be coming from my filter, would u know what could be causing this?

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you cleaning the filter regularly? You should rinse the filter media in the old water when you do a filter change. Is the odor strong, do you notice it when you are in the room or only when you are working in and around the tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom