My Goldfish Has ICH

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by nadine, Apr 8, 2010.

1. nadine

nadine New Member Member

Hi i have the same problem.....my black goldfish has ick. I have turned up the temp in the tank....Am i supose to add salt too??

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Nadine and Welcome to Fish Lore.

:animal0068:I've moved your post to create a thread of it's own. It will help you to get more responses and a proper welcome to the forum.

Hold on for more responses.
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

Thank u Ken....I have also noticed that my algae fish has a few spots aswell. I dont want to loose all my fish to this.....Please Help :(

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help.

Some people use salt and some do not when treating for ICH. It's not something that I usually recommend. Normally the increased temperatures to 86 degrees for a full two weeks, 2 gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Ich may appear worse before it gets better. The only time I would recommend medications is in severe cases. Then I'm sure some other Goldie keepers can advise on the best current medicines to use.

Increased water temperatures requires more oxygen, so it would be a good idea to add an air stone/supply line if you aren't currently using one.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore, nadine. Good luck with the ich. I'm sorry you are going through it.

Could you please fill out your aquarium information? it always helps members answer questions if we know basics about your tank such as size, stock, water parameters, etc. :)

6. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Just another tip, be patient with ICK. It will work it's course if the water temperature is raised and gravel vacuums are done. Slowly it will go away, but like they said above it may get worse before it gets better.

7. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

If you do decide to go the medication route, I have had lots of success using Ich Attack. I like it because you don't have to worry about the higher temps being hard on goldfish.

8. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

Thanks for the help....
    i think i will go with the medication....my black moore is just about dead :( i loved that fish soooo much, and i have had it for a long time .... Breaks my heart.

i notice that my algea has a few white spots now....i dont want the rest of my fish to get the ich....what should i do once my black moore dies...is it ok to clean the tank, new water then add the medication? or would this be too much stress on the other fish?

9. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Meds tend to stress fish, but if your case is severe as mine was, meds may be your only choice. If you do use them, make sure you remove any carbon or carbon filters from your tank. The carbon will clean out the meds and they will do no good. Good luck, and I hope your fish start feeling better. I know what you're going through.

10. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

My black moore and my red eyed tetra both died over night....Hopefully i can save my guppy and algea eater....Should i clean the tank now b4 starting meds?

11. gremlin

Yes. It would be a good idea to do daily gravel vacs to get rid of the ich spores and to help keep the water as clean as possible. Make sure you read the instructions on whatever medication you use. Also, take out any carbon in your filter as the carbon will remove the medication.

12. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

I am left with just my algae eater....i have lost 3 fish due to this tarrable ich....i have started meds and i do gravel vacs once a day.... and it seems as if my algae eater is slowley getting better....how long should i continue with the meds? and how long after should i add new fish?

13. gremlin

Follow the instructions on the ich medication you are using. They usually have you continue the medication longer than ich is visible. As for adding other fish, I would wait and make sure that your tank is fully cycled after the round of medication before adding any other fish. What type of algae eater do you have?

14. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

Raising the temp helps to accelerate the life cycle of ich allowing medication to work on the spores in the tank. A salt water dip will help displace the spores on the fish by increasing the osmotic pressure. The best medicine is basic aquarium maintenance and husbandry practices. Keep your tanks clean and perform regular water changes. Quarantine all new fish for 7 - 10 days prior to putting them into your tank with other fishies.

15. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

Hi....thanks for the information...i have Bristlenose pleco left, hes looking pritty bad right now, but i think he might make it. i have been doing a gravel vac everyday now aswell as adding meds....i have noticed that my water isnt so cloudy as it was. Is this a good sign?

He still has a few salt like garins in his skin, how do i get ride of these grains?....or will the meds kill them and will they drop off of my Bristlenose pleco? Any info would be helpful

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  16. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

What is a Salt Water Dip? And how do i go about doing this? Right now im willing to try just about anything to save this fish.

17. gremlin

Since you have a pleco, I would not worry about the salt water dip. I'm not sure the pleco could handle it. The medication should kill the rest of the ich and the salt like grains should drop off and go away.

18. OP
    OP
    nadine

nadine New Member Member

Thank u so much gremlin....im not not fimilar with ick....how long should this process take?

19. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

I would not dip a pleco either. Keep up regular water changes and watch your biological filter as some medicines will kill the good bacteria as well as the bad.

20. gremlin

It can take up to a month (and sometimes longer). Just be patient and follow the instructions on whichever medication you are using. Keep up with the gravel vacs and water changes. You will most likely need to allow your tank to cycle when you are all done. Keep us posted on how your little pleco is doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that (s)he will pull through this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice