my goldfish has a white spot on fin

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My goldfish has a white spot on its fin, it looks like cotton and its about the size of a pin head. The tank is 10 gal (I know too small) 0nitrite, 0ammonia, 10 nitrate, weekly water change of about 30%, tanks has been running for almost 1 year with no problems. Any ideas whats going on:;dk

2. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Sounds like ich. Catching it early is good. There are a couple ways to treat it. You can raise the temperature of the tank - ich cannot reproduce/grow/whatever if the temp is above 80. However, that isn't a very comfortable temp for goldfish.
    Or you can treat with medication. Personally, I like a product called Ich Attack. Drs Foster & Smith carries it. I have used it multiple times in the past (on rescued carnival goldies) with great success.

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

That was my first thought but it does not look like a salt spot which is what I thought ich looks like and its only 1 tiny spot. I would hate to put chemicals if not needed, the tank does not have a heater in it.

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

So on a closer look, it looks like his tail is split or has a tare in it and it does have another spot on his body that looks like salt. Does this mean that the tank is infected? Is there something that I can buy from a store close by instead of waiting for something to ship?

Thanks much

5. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Walmart or Petsmart may also carry Ich Attack. It is the best one I have found to treat goldfish that have ich. When ich first starts, it doesn't always look like salt - sometimes it almost looks cottony and sometimes it looks like a smooth white area. I have several friends who are school teachers and they end up with the "extra" school carnival goldfish a lot of the time. 99% of these baby goldies have had ich. We have had a 100% survival rate treating with Ich Attack. Fortunately, we have been able to catch it early every time. I now automatically treat any store bought goldie with Ich Attack as part of the quarantine process - whether they show signs of it or not. I have not had Ich in my pond ever that I can remember.

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I will see if I can get some. I already have some Rid Ich by kardon do you know anything about it? I did partical water change and dosed the tank last night before going to bed. Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks for your help.

7. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Rid Ich is ok, but I have had better luck with Ich Attack.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your fishie!

8. redlessi Well Known Member Member

So I dosed for 4 days and the fish looked good but after I stopped the rid ich I added a heater to make sure everything was ok. Its been 2 days with the heater and how the fish has a white patch instead of a ich spot where it looks like the scales are missing. Hes still eating and swimming, it does not look like the heat is bothering him but its only at 80 so far. What about the white patch???

9. gremlin Well Known Member Member

The white patch could be a burn from the heater. Have you noticed if the goldie swims by the heater at all? If he is not used to the heater, he may not have realized it was "hot - don't swim by this". If it is a burn, it should heal up just fine. You don't really need to do anything other than keep up with water changes. If you wanted, Melafix is a good all round medication for goldies. My goldies got sunburned one summer, and they all healed up just fine with no medication. Does it look like cooked fish does? kind of opaque white with a bit of fuzzy around it like it is dissolving in the water?

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

It does look like it could be a burn, there is nothing fuzzy around it. I would prefer not to give any more chemicals to the tank. Should I continue to raise the temperature more?

11. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Continue to raise to (I think it is 82 for 2 weeks to treat ich?) whatever the temp needs to be. I'm not sure what it is since I can't do that in my pond. Is it possible to put something around or in front of the heater so your goldie can't bump into it again?

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Great advice from Gremlin. The water temperature to cure ICH should be at least 83 degrees if not 84. My information states that ICH cannot reproduce in temperatures over 82. Leave the temperature raised for two weeks. Do 2 gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer waters require more oxygen so an air stone/supply is suggested.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

13. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Update: I have the temp at 84, unfortunately I dont have an extra air pump to put an air stone in but the fish has responded well. There are no more white spots and what looked like it could have been a burn from the heater is now healed. The rip in his tail is healed also. It took a while for the temp to get to 84. There has been no change in behavior since I first noticed the spot. I just put a snail in the tank that came on a banana plant and to my surprise he caught it and ate it. So he is happy happy........

Thanks for your support throughout this mini crisis, not sure my fish would have made it without you:;group

14. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I'm glad to hear your fishie is doing better. I would suggest continuing treating for at least another week, just to make sure that everything is going well.

15. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I still have the heater at 84, am doing extra water changing/vacuums. Should I be doing something else?

16. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Nope - you're good. Keep the temp up for at least another week to make sure that all the ich-iness is gone. Then you can start to lower the temp again so you are back to the more comfortable temps for goldies.

17. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Ok, so its been almost 3 weeks since I first noticed ich. After dosing the tank with rid ich for 4 days, I added a heater and the temp is still at 84. There is still 1 tiny spot on the fish right where what looked like a possible burn was. I have been doing water changes/vacuuming gravel 2 x weekly. Is there anything else I should be doing, I though this would be cleared by now.

18. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Ich can be pretty stubborn. Is the spot an ich spot or an injury type spot? If it is just an injury type spot, and if it has been 2 weeks since any sign of ich, then I would say you could start lowering the temp and getting the tank back to normal. If it is an ich spot, then continue with ich treatment.

19. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Are you sure it's ich? I know Charlie has sort of a white "pimple" in his tail fin but he's had that since I've gotten him and it's never changed...

20. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Ok, so its been about 4 weeks and I still have the heater turned up to 84. My goldfish still has the 1 spot. The behavior has never changed the whole time and I am starting to wonder if this is really ich or not. I cant get a picture because he is so fast. Not sure what to do at this point???????