My goldfish babies look nothing like their parents...

Jim2195

So my koi pond had nine huge adult common goldfish, they were included in the backyard pond of the house that we bought six months ago. Three months ago they laid eggs and I raised up 19 baby goldfish. I kept them in a ten gallon in my living room for some time and then released the babies into the pond around a month ago and they all grew from 1/2 inch long to roughly 3 inches long.
However nearly every baby goldfish ended up being plain orange or predominantly orange. I have one that’s half orange half white, a few whole grey-black ones that haven’t developed colors yet, and one that’s black with a yellowish belly.
The strange part is that out of the nine adult goldfish, five were plain white, (although one has red lips) three were red with a bit of white, and one had a red and white sarasa coloring.
I'm wondering why none of the baby goldfish turned out like their parents. Can someone tell me why?

Redshark1

Orange is probably a dominant gene and is expressed in preference to other colours.

Your lucky, all my fry were brown.

edit: I believe goldfish colour genetics are not simplistic, they are complex with multiple genes deciding colour. Environmental factors may also play a part.

GumYu

some goldfish will continue to change colors during their first few years of life. i've had a few that started completely orange and after about 6 months turned completely pale.

goldfish are tetraploids meaning instead of just 2 sets of chromosomes they have 4 sets of chromosomes, so their colors aren't very stable.

Jim2195

Orange is probably a dominant gene and is expressed in preference to other colours.

Your lucky, all my fry were brown.

edit: I believe goldfish colour genetics are not simplistic, they are complex with multiple genes deciding colour. Environmental factors may also play a part.
Is it that your fry all haven’t gotten their adult colors yet or is it that they all grew up to be brown?

Redshark1

Their new owner would need to answer that. But I'm no longer in contact.

AverageDewdrop

Ooo I love looking info on this. Orange is a dominant colour. And when spawning babies usually there are small percentages of different colours. Like say if a baby is gold with black, the black being in a common is not a stable colour. So the fish probably failed the second phase. Therefore when the baby grows older the black actually turns into a different colour , example is red or orange. And lots of baby goldfish don't get their complete colours till a year or so. It's really cool to look into they can even change later in life! And for many reasons. Like losing colour due to lack of lighting, colour fading or w/e due to what they're eating. You name it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Myyyman
Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
Replies
Views