My Goldfish are chasing!

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by lbonini1, Jul 24, 2015.

1. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

So my A/C's out and the water temperature is at 81 degrees Fahrenheit and it's never at this temperature plus I have been keeping only one of the lights on since I'm afraid of it heating the water so they must think it's Spring or something because Casper's chasing Spot and Hansel's chasing Jackie!

Lol, this is funny to watch because he's trying so hard to push her but since he's so small it's not really working. If they do breed and eggs are laid I have no plans to raise any fry so I'm going to let them eat the eggs.

Maybe in the future though. I guess this is a sign that my fish are healthy! :D

2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I would monitor as breeding can be rough on females. If they do get beat up and show redness or torn fins, just keep your water pristine. They will heal fast.

3. OP
    OP
    lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the tips. I noticed he's not really doing anything in the way of nipping, just kind of pushing her and considering there's no decor in my tank that can harm her by being pushed into it, she's fine.

Also, she's like 6 inches with the tail and everything I think and he's like 3 inches.

Lol.

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Fairly common, feisty little guy :)

He may start pecking at her rear area causing redness so soreness.

5. Aquasculpt

Aquasculpt Valued Member Member

I see this happen with my goldies when there is a temperature change, they will start chasing each other and pushing one another around, higher temperature higher metabolism, more activity. They might breed since the temperature change induces the breeding instinct or they might just be messing around as goldfish do. chexk your male goldfish an see If you can spot some small white tubercles (bumps) on his operculum (gill covers) this will let you know he is sexually mature and in an "amorous" mood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice