My Girl's Losing Weight

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My BRP I got in March with a prolapsed uterus is losing weight. However, she is eating and eating well.

All my tanks get garlic and Vita Chem.

Is there anything else I can be doing for her? I'd rather not quarantine her since BRP's are "pack" fish. I'm hoping to keep her stress level minimal.

She's in a 55g with another BRP, two male rainbow cichlids, and an RTS.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello BB,

That girl has sure had a rough time hasn't she? Such a fighter! I really don't know what to tell you BB. I haven't experienced this issue with this fish before.

I've read in the past that internal parasites can cause weight loss.

Did the prolapse ever contract or right itself? I can't remember.

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks, Ken. The prolapse is still outside of her. It never retracted, but it did turn a "healthy" pink instead of a reddish-pink.

I'm not that familiar with internal parasites. Should I go ahead and treat her for them? I'm not a huge fan of medicating without knowing what's wrong, but she's come much further than we expected, so I'd like to help her any way I can.

If I should treat her, what should I treat her with?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey BB,

I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction so let's get more responses. I'm like you in the respect of using medications.

I had Discus many years ago, sadly with no success, and I was told to treat internal parasites with Metronidazole:

Ken

Edit:
Fishzole will do the same thing and much, much cheaper.

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if shes eating and acting healthy otherwise, I wouldnt medicate her..IMO it would stress her to the max to be without her buddy....maybe even target feeding her with some tweezers would also help....fill her with some proteins and veggies ....and if you can , get a container of wax worms and target feed her a couple times a week...full of fats/proteins as well........

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you both! You're lifesavers!

Shawnie-wax worms-I've never heard of them. Can I get them frozen or only freeze-dried?

The tank does get bloodworms and brine shrimp at least once a week and I'd be happy to drop a piece of zucchini in there or increase the number of nights they get them. I also have spiriluna and seaweed if that would help her. I also have mysis shrimp, but they don't get excited over that.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you have a full smorgasbord of foods LOL
wax worms are live and are sorta like meal worms but much thicker and more meaty....you would have to cut a live worm to get pieces for her to target feed....but a great source of protein/fats for sure....to chunk her up maybe.....I give them to my fish 2 times a week and to all the skinnier fish that dont get what the piggies gobble up....im sure maybe swap out a zucchini for a piece of romain lettuce and hang it more on the side of the tank towards where she hangs out the most might help her too.....although zucchini would work im sure as well...hanging it near her spot will help target her as well...

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
UPDATE:

I'm not sure how she pulled it off, but she has put the weight back on, the prolapsed uterus has gone back inside her!

She is happy, healthy, and an absolute joy!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
awesome bb

as a side note, "jungle parasite clear" active ingredient is metronidazole, as well, and it's readily available at most LFS, even walmart. Take care!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's wonderful news BB! I'm so happy for you both!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom