My German Blue Ram Isn't Looking So Good. Please Advise.

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Spikeydoo2006, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Spikeydoo2006

Spikeydoo2006New MemberMember

Hi everyone.

Not sure if there's something wrong with my blue ram female. I noticed earlier today that one was looking a bit bloated, breathing heavily and resting in the corner at the front of the tank.

Was worried that it could be bloat (had lost a ram to that previously a few months ago after unsuccessful treatment). On closer inspection, it seems that there was something hanging from the bottom.

Looks now like she's having problems laying eggs, possibly? How long would it be safe to leave for? Or is there anything I can do to help without causing too much stress?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)IMG_20190719_012700.jpgIMG_20190719_012616.jpg

2. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Isn't she pretty! Is she the only Ram in the tank? How big is the tank? Are there other fish in with her? This could be her first eggs and she's been holding onto them- If you have a flowerpot she might be more comfortable. If you have a male, I'm guessing you don't, that would even be better. I don't think theres anything to worry about. Just Nature. That is a great picture too!

3. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

Thanks for the response :)

She is currently in a 120l tank along with 2 Cory's, 3 other female German Blue rams, 2 electric blue ram males, 3 dwarf Gourami. All other fish are behaving normally.

When I checked on her this morning, she was actually swimming about slowly. The eggs/cluster still looks the same, but I'm not sure if they've started to get some kind of fungus, it's looking a bit furry now.

Will try the flower pot idea and see if that helps. I'm just worried in case she's possibly egg bound. Don't really want to lose her :(

4. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Furry like fuzzy, do you have a fungus treatment? Have you tested your water ? How long has she been like this I want to suggest a salt dip/bath; if it is binding, but I'm not positive of the dosing. I had a Krib that acted this way but once she started moving around it seemed to resolve on it's own . I think if your water tests okay and she starts moving around it will work it's self out I just think too much intervention can stress her out even more but if you have any more recent pictures that would be a big help

5. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

I do have some fungal medication on hand just in case. Sorry so late in replying have just got back in.

Water parameters currently are:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20ppm
    pH 7.5

Have attached a few pictures taken today. Hope they are clear enough to see the difference from the original post. Thank you for you responses so far :)IMG_20190719_193227.jpgIMG_20190719_193210.jpg00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190719193510269_COVER.jpg
    (Using API Freshwater Master Test Kit)

Attached Files:

6. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

@coralbandit is the resident Ram expert I believe. Hopefully he can give you some advice.

7. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

I would feed frozen brine shrimp or some other fiber rich food .She is egg bound ..
    What is tank temp ?

8. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

@coralbandit Am trying to feed brine shrimp tonight, but haven't seen her eating since yesterday. Tank temperature is currently set at 27°c.
    She's been in there for almost a year now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Some parasite? I don't think that the fungus is the primary issue...

I would place a specimen container (as big as you can find) inside the aquarium (to keep the temperature) and put the fish in - then start an API General Cure treatment. Mix some regular food with the General Cure powder and add Garlic Guard - then feed in very small portions. You have to make sure that some food will be ingested by the fish; remove the uneaten food (you can keep the prepared food in the fridge for couple of days) . Then does the water in the specimen container too.

10. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

Update: Today the mould/fungus is getting worse. I know this isn't the main issue causing the problem, but thought an updated picture would possibly help with advice on how to proceed. IMG_20190720_121725.jpg

11. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Possibly Epsom salt baths ??
    She is blocked and needs to be cleared somehow ..

12. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

See my previous post... bottom line: separate and treat. But don't wait, just act!

13. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

Have just been out to get some medication. Will start the process when I get back in from town. Thanks for all the tips/help. Will update with any progress.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, I feel more confident now. Just hope I can get her to pull round :)

14. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

Just a quick update.
    Things aren't looking too good now. She's had her 2nd Epsom salt bath today, but now she seems to have fungus growing on her head. Have treated the tank with Esha 2000 to help minimise spread to the other tank residents.
    She's really struggling to swim, and her fins have now started to clamp. Will keep up with the Epsom salt baths and hope for the best, but she seems to be going downhill fast now :(
    Unable to post a picture, as she currently hiding behind a moss ball.

15. OP
    OP
    Spikeydoo2006

:( I'm sad to report that she's just passed away. Was nestled in the plants for most of the evening. Just went to check on her and she wasn't breathing.

Thanks for all the advice though, will know what to do if it happens again in the future.

16. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Sorry to hear that!

17. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

So sorry.