My Geophagus Juripari needs help!!!!!!!!

1. T Fishie Member Member

My Geophagus Juripari for some reason can't open his mouth to eat. I noticed his fins were nipped an he had been harrased. Could that be it? This is the second day he hasn't been able to eat. I don't want to loose him!!!!

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

he may have a bit of substrate stuck in his gill or in his mouth thus being uncomfertable to open his mouth but this is only if you have large subsrate as some times this can happen to these fish so if you have large substrae catch him and check his mouth and gills

3. T Fishie Member Member

Oh my goodness! Ok I hope I don't hurt him trying to do this.Thanks so much!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

are you sure its a him and not a her holding fish babies in her mouth? they are mouth brooders...and they can get huge so i hope your tank is a good size!

5. T Fishie Member Member

Oh boy! My tank is 125 gallons.And I have a 55 gallon with only 2 gouramis in it. There were no signs of her being pregnant.Would that actually stop her from eating?

6. kacie Member Member

Yes, if her mouth was full of fry she would stop eating. Also she could have gotten nipped up during mating.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what do your gouramis have to do with your OP about your Geophagus Juripari:;dk gouramis arent mouth brooders they do bubble nests

8. T Fishie Member Member

I just said that about the gouramis b/c there is room in that tank if I need it.

That's interesting about getting nipped. Her fin has been nipped! I'm just worried about her b/c it's been a few days since she has eaten. How long do they keep the fry in their mouths?

I can't seem to find much info about them.

:animal0068:Good morning. I have merged your posts to save some space. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts should there be no responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

gouramis cant go with your Geophagus Jurupari..nor can one live in the tank you have it in..they get way too big....

10. btate617 Well Known Member Member

How many do you have and how big are they?

Pics?

11. T Fishie Member Member

them being big is not the issue. As I said they are in a 125 gallon tank and I only have 2. I'm only needing advise on what to do. If anyone has a link that would be helpful that would be great. Thanks

12. T Fishie Member Member

I'll put some pics up soon

13. btate617 Well Known Member Member

I asked how big they are to figure out if they are big enough to be mature.
    If they are not yet mature size than that gets rid of the fish holding, then we can move on to something else to try and help you.

14. T Fishie Member Member

They are about 5 to 6 inches one is smaller than the other.Thank you or your help btate617.