My GBR

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by VAFish, Jul 15, 2015.

1. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

I "rescued" this guy/gal from petco the other day. Was the only one left in a tank full of gouramis. It's colored up slightly since getting it, but it's very pale compared to others I've seen. Do you think it's stress or age that could be the reason for not coloring up? I've attached a pic.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437002023.363487.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Nice! It's possible the ram just isn't comfortable in the tank yet. It may take time for him to feel more comfortable in there.

3. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Mine didn't get full colors for about a week

4. LiterallyHydro

Out of curiosity, what size tank is the GBR in? Could you provide a full picture of the aquarium?

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Is it possible it's a female and they don't color up as males?

6. LiterallyHydro

Female GBRs in my experience color up just about as much as males. Just a few slight variation in their pattern.

7. OP
    OP
    VAFish

No idea what the sex is lol.

Here's a pic of the tank. It's a 75

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437006960.619092.jpg

8. LiterallyHydro

Nice tank. You should get some tall plants for the far right.

It seems like he has a few decent hiding places in there.

9. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Give it a few more days to settle in - and congrats on your new fish!

10. OP
    OP
    VAFish

Thanks everyone. I have some real plants in there that are new so they should help fill in some.

11. newtanksyndrome

newtanksyndrome Valued Member Member

Its been 2 months in my tank (with perfect water quality i might add) and it STILL hasmt colored up :(
    And wow... Yours has nice long fins!

Sent from iPad app

12. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I wonder if there are different strains of GBR? Mine almost looks bright yellow

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, there is. There's golden rams, electric blue rams, german blue rams, and wild rams. (All Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)
    Nice ram!

14. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Also Angel Rams aka Balloon Rams.

EDIT: This fish looks more like a Bolivian to me. I dont see any blue specs. anywhere on the fish..

RE-EDIT: On second thought, the mouth is not like a Bolivian. Is it possible for GBR and Bolivian to cross breed? Its not a Golden or Electric Blue because they dont have the black spot and stripes.

15. OP
    OP
    VAFish

I was wondering if it had some Bolivian in it as well. It does have blue specs on the tail and body, they just don't show up in the pic. But he seems very golden for a true blue ram don't you think?

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

No, it's just a regular Ram, male. Probably not a German strain, more likely Asian in origin; they tend to be more yellowish. Incidentally, the term "German Blue Ram" was made up to sell Asian grown fish by associating them with the much hardier and darker German Ram, which really isn't that blue but has heavy black markings. There really never was a German Blue Ram, but the name has become so widespread that it would be impossible to erase it from the hobby; it has replaced the term Common Ram.

Wild populations have considerable variability, so it's not just the aquarium strains that can look different.

To my knowledge, it is impossible for ramirezi and altispinosus to hybridize due to behavioral differences. At the very least, I am not aware of anyone having done so.

17. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah.... I don't like those ones at all... poor fish.

18. LiterallyHydro

I had an electric blue ram about 4 months ago. Was a really neat fish. Striking colors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice