My Funny Aquarium Fish

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Andromeda, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Andromeda

AndromedaValued MemberMember

So, a few weeks ago my LFS sold me a White Skirt Tetra, saying it would be fine alone. Silly me, I didn't do my research and introduced it into my 20 gallon aquarium (which holds a school of albino Cory cats and a few platy).
    Soon enough I was appalled to find out that these tetras need a school of atleast 6.
    I planned to return the white skirt and then THIS happened.
    My white skirt thinks she's a part of the corydoras school! , she thinks she IS a Corydoras!
    She happily roams around with them (they are the same white colour) and when they feed from the bottom, she uses her mouth to flick the food a few cm above the ground and gobbles it up.
    I've never seen anything like it! Oddly, she seems very content and even waits up for the others when she zooms past them.
    This has been happening for some weeks now. I'm glad she's found a family in the tank. Plan to keep her. :')
    Just thought I'd share this story with you guys. Hope you find it as interesting as I do!

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

That's interesting! I have galaxy rasboras that school with neon tetras. Tank life sure has fish adapting to things not possible in the wild

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

She's likely swimming with them because she's stressed :( But good news, a school of skirt tetra will fit in a 20 gal, so you can get her some friends :)

4. Arades

AradesValued MemberMember

Thats interesting! When i first added a school of neons to my guppy fry tank they were schooling aswell!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice