My Frogs Died!!

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Racing1113, Apr 17, 2017.

1. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Helpppp meeee!! I have a 10 gal tank with 4 ADF's. It's been set up for maybe around 6 weeks now and I'm pretty sure it's almost cycled (last water change showed 0 ammonia, 5-10ppm nitrates, but .25ppm nitrites). Everything has been great and frogs were happy and healthy. No new frogs have been added, no decor has been added, diet rotates between bloodworms, shrimp and pellets, and I do weekly partial water change with a thorough gravel cleaning. Today I woke up and 2 of the frogs are dead!! The other 2 seem to be ok. The ONLY abnormal thing lately is this: in the tank is a volcano decoration that has a light and air stone in it that shine/blow out of the top. 2 or 3 days ago the light was so dim that I investigated and there was gross green, slimy stuff attached to the light. My boyfriend said it almost looks like a moss ball that fell apart, but neither of can remember if there was 2 or 3 moss balls originally. I'm not sure how long it was in the volcano since I didn't notice until it affected the light. When cleaning we usually clean around it instead of picking it up since the air flow does a pretty good job of keeping debris out (or so we thought). Anyway, when we lifted up the volcano and cleaned the gunk out and rearranged the gravel under it, could there have been a pocket of something harmful that was released or something like that? I just can't think of anything else that would have caused 2 sudden deaths, and I'm freaking out because I don't want anything to happen to the 2 remaining frogs.

2. ChibiMonkey

ChibiMonkey Valued Member Member

How long were the frogs in the tank for? If you haven't had them long, I will say that because they're labeled as "fish," many pet stores don't know how to care for them properly and inadvertently sell sick frogs.

What did their skin look like? Feet? At the moment my store is having a hard time with our frogs hurting their feet, and it's quite easy to miss a broken toe or ripped webbing until it's too late. Those things cause infections and then the frogs die.

That being said, it could possibly have been a cloud of toxins released from pulling up the volcano. I had that problem in my betta tank with a piece of decor, but those kinds of things are not my area of expertise. I know more about fungus and infections.

3. OP
    OP
    R

2 of the frogs were there from the beginning and the other 2 were added about 2 weeks later. Interestingly, it was 1 frog from both groups that died. Up until this morning all 4 were active, ate well, and were shedding normally. I inspected both of them when I fished them out of the tank and didn't see anything alarming, but then again I'm not too sure what to look for. I'm stressing myself out trying to make sure I'm not missing anything that could hurt the 2 remaining frogs.

Those poor frogs at your work! You posted a while back about your frog who you nursed back to health from fungus, right? I'm still new to fish/frogs so it's still surprising to me how quickly fungus/infections can come on.

Do you think I should start pulling up the volcano with water changes from now on? I really figured it was ok without doing it since there's barely any gravel in/under it since the edges are pretty much touching the tank bottom and the light is suctioned to the bottom as well but again I'm still learning lol.

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think that level of nitrite killed the frogs. (They breathe air) I don't know that the volcano had anything to do with it. (Pick it up and vacuum under it from now on. Water is being pulled in under it due to the air stone and there is a current created. There will be debris there.) Water cleanliness does have an effect. Unclean water promotes bacteria and injuries or wound become infected fast. I had to change my substrait to sand because my frog was always trying to wedge under something and was getting caught in the gravel.

5. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

I think that the presence of nitrites in your tank might be the cause of the deaths, your tank has not finish cycling yet but almost.. as you have some nitrates. Even if adfs breath air at the surface, they are really sensitive to ammonia and nitrites because they absorb the toxins through their skin. Toxins might have affect their immune system. I don't think the algea would be the cause. I would do a water change and continue to test for nitrites, you want to see 0 nititres

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    R

Ohhh that makes sense about the water current. I never realized that! Thanks for the info - I have another volcano in my 29gal tank with my glofish and corydoras so I'll be sure to pick up both of them to clean from now on.

7. OP
    OP
    R

Just tested the water again, I had already done a 50% water change immediately after removing the dead frogs and now the nitrite test shows just slightly darker than 0 but nowhere near what it was before. Should I do another water change today? I'll make sure and test maybe twice a week until it stays at 0? Does that sound ok? Anything else you can think of that I should check or change going forward?

8. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

I would not change more water, continue to test your water, if there is a presence of nitrite or nitrates are higher than 20ppm then change 25% water change. If all the levels are ok, your frogs will be fine, just continue to perform a 25% weekly change.As Kimberly recommend you, keep your tank clean , water quality has an important role to play in amphibian's health

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice