My frog terrarium

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Reptiguy97, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Reptiguy97

Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

I though this would be a good place to show you all my pride and joy my frog terrarium. I have two mail and female species of frogs around Michigan. I have 2 American bullfrogs, 2 northern green frogs, 2 pickerel frogs, 2 northern leopard frogs, and 2 mink frogs. I have some pictures to take a look.

Sorry my pictures didn't go threw so I posted them here instead.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

You've got some great looking frogs :D Thanks for sharing!

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

They are some serious frogs! Nice

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I want a Pacman frog. They are too darn cool :D

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Yeah they are cool, when they are hunched up they kinda look like donuts :D  

6. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

Thanks I have worked very hard on that tank I am glad you like it. I hope you do not mind but I do have a question I would like to ask. I figure it would be easier to ask it here instead of starting another thread about it. Anyway Heres the question why do my frogs drag the moss into the water? It seems that they do that all the time does anyone know why?

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've only got aquatic frogs right now, so I have no idea :D

Your frogs look really good though. Nice job with them.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

10!.gif

Great job!

Ken

9. tress29

tress29Valued MemberMember

Is it sticking to them, and then they enter the water?

10. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Very cool!! It makes me miss my Grey Tree Frog Terrarium! ♥♥ I love frogs :)

11. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

It's not sticking to them it looks like there kicking the moss into the water intentionally. I think they are using it as cover or like duckweed in the wild.

Hey Mrs. Price I didn't know you had a grey tree frog terrarium I didn't know that you mind if I ask you a question. How big do they get I recently found My grey tree frog inside a motel hallway when I took a vacation to the U.P. of Michigan he's currently in a 5.5 gallon tank with a wood frog I know he is probably going to need a larger tank but what size tank is good for a grey tree frog and a wood frog?

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

It looks great and the frogs look fantastic. Though, i might add that Grey trees and wood frogs are not compatible species. They have different environmental and temperature needs. Same goes for the big tank, adult bullfrogs will eat anything that moves, including other frogs. While leopards and bulls may have the same requirements there are many reasons why keepers advice keeping only 1 species of amphibian or reptile per tank. Here is a quick summerizing link on that.

13. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

Do not worry my frogs have don just fine in that tank for several years and as I said at the top of this thread I have collected all the aquatic frog species around Michigan and the trick I use in this tank is that I have studied the needs of each frog species and I carefully balance each frogs need so that every thing is at that that happy medium for each frog to coexist just as they do in nature I am not saying that it is perfect because its not it has its flaws but what tank doesn't. I am not trying to be offensive or anything I am just explaining how I have my tank set up.;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  14. Mrs.Price

Tree frogs will need a Tall terrarium with a good sized stick to climb on, I kept mine in (if I remember correctly) a 20gal tall.

Males range from 1.2-1.6 inches, and Females 1.6-2.4 inches from snout to vent. :)

15. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

O.K thanks I'll look around for a 20 gallon tall tank a screen top and some larger sticks then.

16. Mrs.Price

Sounds perfect! You could even keep more than one in there, 3 if you wished. ;)

17. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

I propoably am going to keep a few more in it I think there's about 3 types of tree frogs I half to collect yet before I can say I have all the frog species around Michigan.:)

18. Mrs.Price

You may need a bigger terrarium, but I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something really nice! :D

19. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Ahhhh! Water trolls! They're so cute and frumpy!

20. OP
    OP
    Reptiguy97

I had a quick question whal were all on the topic of frogs. Is it possible for frogs to hibernate inside the terrarium? The reason I ask is earlier I couldn't find my largest frog who is also an American bullfrog so I looked around and found him buried under a thick layer of moss and when I dug him out he was all hard and stiff and I was almost certain he had died but just as I removed him from the tank he Suddenly woke up and he jumped out of my hand and then I had to play chase the frog around the house :p but after I got him back into the tank he went back to normal. I have had this large bullfrog for 3 years he's one I raised from a tadpole and I never once had him do anything like that before. Any ideas anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice