My Friend Is Giving Me Her 10gal!! Stocking Help??

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!!

I just started this hobby a couple of months ago with my own 10gallon tank. I have a male betta, 5 black neon tetras, and some ghost and amano shrimp in it! That tank and everyone in it are my babies.

But, because of the tanks size and my keeping a betta in it, stocking options are limited. For example, my betta attacks anything red like him, so no red cherry shrimp so I’ve eventually wanted to get more tanks to have different kinds of communities!

And it just so happens my good friend is leaving to go work in the navy full time, and has seen how much I’ve been loving fishkeeping and wanted to pass along her tank to me. She has a 10gal tall with 3 mollies in it, 2 who are half grown. She also just said her snail died so I’m not sure about the condition of her water.

Of course I said yes, I can’t wait to fall in love with another tank! But, since I’m new in the hobby I could really use some advice on stocking this new tank! Of course I’m keeping the 3 mollies. I think I would also really love guppies..but my question for the two kinds of fish would be how many in a 10gallon??? I think I would also really love some shrimp in this tank as well.

Any help would be so appreciated, thanks!!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!!

I just started this hobby a couple of months ago with my own 10gallon tank. I have a male betta, 5 black neon tetras, and some ghost and amano shrimp in it! That tank and everyone in it are my babies.

But, because of the tanks size and my keeping a betta in it, stocking options are limited. For example, my betta attacks anything red like him, so no red cherry shrimp so I’ve eventually wanted to get more tanks to have different kinds of communities!

And it just so happens my good friend is leaving to go work in the navy full time, and has seen how much I’ve been loving fishkeeping and wanted to pass along her tank to me. She has a 10gal tall with 3 mollies in it, 2 who are half grown. She also just said her snail died so I’m not sure about the condition of her water.

Of course I said yes, I can’t wait to fall in love with another tank! But, since I’m new in the hobby I could really use some advice on stocking this new tank! Of course I’m keeping the 3 mollies. I think I would also really love guppies..but my question for the two kinds of fish would be how many in a 10gallon??? I think I would also really love some shrimp in this tank as well.

Any help would be so appreciated, thanks!!
I would be careful since mollies do have a big bioload.
3x mollies
1 - 3x Guppies
?x Cherry shrimp
1x Blue Apple Snail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this should work but then again I would have overstocked if it wasn't for this forum.

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would be careful since mollies do have a big bioload.
3x mollies
1 - 3x Guppies
?x Cherry shrimp
1x Blue Apple Snail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this should work but then again I would have overstocked if it wasn't for this forum.
Mollies do?? Darn it so do bettas, I was hoping they wouldn’t but I think most fish are gonna be a pretty substantial bioload, I always worry about overstocking I read that mollies are not, but that guppies are a schooling fish! Are three of them enough for them to be happy do you think??

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mollies do?? Darn it so do bettas, I was hoping they wouldn’t but I think most fish are gonna be a pretty substantial bioload, I always worry about overstocking I read that mollies are not, but that guppies are a schooling fish! Are three of them enough for them to be happy do you think??
Well if you got rid of the mollies then you could put like 5 Full Grown Guppies, I think you should get all males or else you are going to be really overstocked with babies.
----------------------------------------------------------
Mollies the thing is here is what I have seen.
1. They eat everyone's food
2. They poop ALL THE TIME.
3. They are up all night.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It could be
5x Guppies (All males / 4:1 Female to Male Ratio / All Females)
?x Cherry Shrimp
1x Blue Apple Snail

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well if you got rid of the mollies then you could put like 5 Full Grown Guppies, I think you should get all males or else you are going to be really overstocked with babies.
----------------------------------------------------------
Mollies the thing is here is what I have seen.
1. They eat everyone's food
2. They poop ALL THE TIME.
3. They are up all night.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It could be
5x Guppies (All males / 4:1 Female to Male Ratio / All Females)
?x Cherry Shrimp
1x Blue Apple Snail
I’m so sad they poop so much but that’s okay, I would feel terrible getting rid of her mollies that she raised so maybe I’ll wait to get some guppies. I might get a female betta to go with the mollies, that was a consideration too!

Actually, I was reading more and guppies might not be a schooling fish after all! A lot of other people say they do fine in small groups, so I might end up getting some guppies then I think that would be better, because if I were to get another betta I don’t think I could get bright colored shrimp

Last edited by a moderator:

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually, I was reading more and guppies might not be a schooling fish after all! A lot of other people say they do fine in small groups, so I might end up getting some guppies then I think that would be better, because if I were to get another betta I don’t think I could get bright colored shrimp
If it is only after red things why not get Dream Blue Shrimp?

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it is only after red things why not get Dream Blue Shrimp?
I have thought about those! But for my current betta red is all I know, because he attacked the red part on some regular neon tetras I tried to put in with him. He leaves the gray/clear shrimp alone and the black/silver neons alone. I had one lone cherry shrimp a while ago but he disappeared, so I’m assuming my betta went after him as well. Now with bettas I would be nervous to try anything bright colored again!

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could try:
6x crystal pearl danios
?X red cherries (doesn't really add to bioload)
1x snail of your choosing

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh wow, does that go for all danios or just the pearls?? And then if so were you recommending 6 with the 3 mollies as well??
Just the Pearls since they are only 0.75 inches. That could work. But what kind of mollies are we talking about?

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would only keep the cpd with fish that are more chilled out than mollies, I find they can be bullied and outcompeted due to their small size. Apart from the bullying, the mollies might also prey on the shrimp hard, so I wouldn't put the two together unless you have extremely dense cover.
You could also try adding a honey gourami to the stock if you want a centrepiece fish, but with that you need to keep on top of your weekly water changes

So there are a few options, but for 10 gal and if you want something like mollies along with the cpds I would go;

1xHoney gourami
6x cpd
?x red cherry shrimp
1x snail

Last edited:

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would only keep the cpd with fishing similar size, I find they can be bullied very eAdult due to their small size.
You could also try adding a honey gourami to the stock if you want a centrepiece fish, but with that you need to keep on top of your weekly water changes
I like the sound of that! And yes I definitely don’t want any bullying!

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I edited my post, added another possible stocking
Thank you! Yeah I think I’ll have to keep the mollies, I guess I’ll have to see their temperament and go from there!! Thanks so much for the suggestions

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also as for the mollies, if you want to get rid of them you can try giving them to your local fish store for brownie points with their staff, or you could put an ad for them on the American version of gumtree or Facebook groups

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I'd be careful with the mollies. See how their personalities are first. I have a big bully female molly; she's territorial and a food hog. I had to remove the male because he was stressed out. I'd also keep in mind that if you have males and females, they'll breed, and as livebearers, all the time. Mine has big batches of babies, usually around 12 or so. They're born fully developed and swimming. If you don't mind the babies getting eaten by other fish, it shouldn't be a problem, but I personally can't stand the cute little baby fish getting eaten after I've seen them. I don't care if it's nature, I want them all to live! Which is why seeing my female betta gulp a couple was upsetting.

Speaking of which, if you want to squeeze in a betta, be careful. Mine over-ate while with my Molly and platies. I've removed her because she was getting too fat and staying that way. Mollies/platies can eat a lot more than a betta can before getting bloated.

Fredricko

Reaction score
Since mollies can get rather large and have a big bio load I would advise not getting anymore fish that will use the top 2/3 of the tank and instead would get 2 or 3 corydora catfish for the bottom, you could also add in one or two before snails to help with algae, but be careful not to overstock, as 10 gallons is rather small and water peramiters can change quickly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom