My Freshwater Planted Tank Question 

Martyh

Valued Member
Reaction score
lisa99 said:
Thanks. Do you have them in a particular hood? What I’ve seen in the hardware stores is not attractive.
Yeah they fit in the hood you cant see any of the electrical connections or hardware

I really need to get the scissors out

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many do you
Martyh said:
Mine are 54w T5 HO (865) bulbs 6500k
use for your tank size?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the red stem plant on the right side of your tank? I'm always leary of stem plants because the bottom of the stems rot over time and i have to replant them but my dwarf lilly isn't much of a dwarf which is problematic and i'm looking for some red - this is what my tank looks like as of a few minutes ago (when i move i'll put the ulv in the back instead of hte front - never realize it would have leaves over 2 feet high - the lilies get trim twice a week which is getting annoying) - oh before i forget how high is your tank? I've started some micro swords (see front middle) about a month ago but they are not growing very fast. I have 4 tanks - 129 which does get co2 - 2 29 and a 20L - this is all just an experiment for me to see what works so after i move i can do it right - the other three tanks have no co2 but they are doing pretty well esp the guppy tank (also included). I never understood why some tanks do well and not others
qq.jpg
g.jpg

Martyh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Having neglected the tank for a month decided today was the day

I got the scissors out and a bit more

Looking spangly again

I popped into a new LFS and always wanted some carp and purchased 3 very small common carp however on returning home and floating the fish I noticed something wrong i has 2 carp and a tench !! I called the LFS and explained and they said oh he only been here 2 days I said maybe its best he stays on the till for the meantime until he can tell the difference between a carp and a tench

So i decided to add the tench they fine in warmer water just they will have a high metabolism and grow faster my mate has a pond i can always move them to later also they all make excellent clean up crew for the bottom

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You say neglect but yours is so well organized. Mine is an uncontrolled jungle (i did cut all the jungle val today so maybe the increase in light will help but i fear it will just be a bigger jungle in a few weeks).

Martyh

Valued Member
Reaction score
jake37 said:
You say neglect but yours is so well organized. Mine is an uncontrolled jungle (i did cut all the jungle val today so maybe the increase in light will help but i fear it will just be a bigger jungle in a few weeks).
They take some looking after but less then a marine my old 6ft marine use to take so much time and effort

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the red plant you have - is it a rotanda or a ludwiga ?

Martyh

Valued Member
Reaction score
jake37 said:
What is the red plant you have - is it a rotanda or a ludwiga ?
Pretty sure ludwiga

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gorgeous tank!!

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You wouldn't happen to have a plant list floating aroubd somewhere? Very nice scape.

Martyh

Valued Member
Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
You wouldn't happen to have a plant list floating aroubd somewhere? Very nice scape.
I'm afraid I dont have a list of plants and i do struggle to remember there names

Beginning of December visited and LFS and always wanted some common carp however the lad at the shop didn't know the difference between carp and tench so ended up with 2 carp and a tench sadly the tench was very thin and not looking it's best but have since been feeding very heavy and it's starting to fill out

Since I'm having to feed quite heavily also decided I better add some more biological media so added nearly 2kilo of alfagrog to the filter this should help over time left the old media in this runs before the alfagrog so will help speed the alfagrog.

The 2 common carp are a friendly pair and have so far been model citizens one thing I have noticed is with them and the tench they do help turn over the bottom nicely which caused issues with detritus/poo settling in the tank.

I was not happy with that so changed out the 2 x 3000LPH powerheads for 2 x 75000LPH powerheads this stired the tank right up and now having 17000LPH of flow in the tank combined with filter return flow rate this got all the detritus/poo nicely suspended into the water column allowing the filter to do its job and pull it out just ment I had to change the filter floss a couple of extra times to while the filter caught all the poo and caught up all the stock dont seem bothered by the flow ans I dont have any dead spots.

Here is a few pictures of the stock and the tank

There will be some changes in the next few weeks plant wise but I'll update as I go

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beautiful tank! I hope my first planted tank turns out like this!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom