My freshwater aquarium is over run by snails.

1. Blue Crayfish Initiate Member

Hi fellow aquarists! Recently I noticed that my driftwood had a fungus growing on it. The fungus looked like little beards forming on the wood. What I did was pull the driftwood out of the aquarium and replace it with new driftwood from the local fish store. It was suggested that I purchase the driftwood directly from their aquariums, since it would be already be established & there was no need to go through the soaking the wood routine. So that's what I did, bought their wood & placed it into my aquarium.
    I was informed that there might be some snails in the wood, but I felt nothing would happen. Everything was fine until a couple day's ago when all these tiny white snails where sitting all over the driftwood. Previously I had bought 3 good snails to eat the so called bad snails. They were purchased to wipeout the small few coming out of my new plants.
    I am now very discouraged seeing am infestation of these unwelcome guests in my my aquarium. They attacking my plants. Does chemical warfare harm freshwater fish? ( there are 10 Tiger Barbs, 3 pepper Cory's 1, 1 audo cat? & 1 remaining ghost schimp in the tank) what do I do to get rid of these pests?

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

Sounds like the driftwood was full of pond snail eggs. It is going to take some time, but you could place some lettuce in the tank at lights out. In the morning, toss the lettuce and all the snails in the area. Hand pick as many as possible. If your purchased snails are Assassin Snails, they will help too.

Other tactics would be to greatly reduce foods offered and doing a deep gravel vac to lift any uneaten foods in the gravel.

Do not use chemicals or you will end up killing your plants and possibly your fish as well.

With patience you will get the snail population under control.