My fist tank

andy longhurst

HI all,

This is my first tropical tank and its been up and running for 2 months. Just thought I would get your opinions.

I have the following fish:

1 x Blue GouramI - Top Left
1 x Honey GouramI - Top Left
12 x Neons - Bottom Left
2 x Angles - Right
1 x Black Ghost knife that lives in the coconut
2 x Zebra Snails
6 x Plants - not sure what they are

Attachments

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WELCOME TO FISHLORE

60L=15.85 gallon

The decorations look cool, as do all the plants, but that is way to many fish for a 16 gallon tank! I wouldn't recommend keeping a single angel in a tank smaller than a 20 tall, let alone 2 and 2 gouramis and a ghost knife!

If it were my tank, (and I understand its not and its up to you whether you take my advice) I would rehome the gouramis and angels and ghost knife. Maybe see if the LFS would take them. Then I would get a Dwarf gouramI or a trio of true honey gouramI (your honey gouramI appears to be a color variant of the blue gourami, true honey gouramis are much smaller) and a school of pygmy cories for the bottom.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!

I agree completely with angelfish220, black ghost knife gets up to about 20 inches fully grown.

The angels/bgk are likely to eat the neons at some point also.

The tank decor looks great, it's just very heavily stocked, and unfortunately as your fish grow, so does their attitude, so you will have lots of fighting because of aggression.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news just trying to give you a heads up! Best of luck!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, looking at your aquarium information, you have a 25L (6gal) tank with goldfish in it? Goldfish grow to be over 12 inches. Goldfish need 20 gallon for the first and 10 gal for each additonal, so 6gal is VERY over stocked with just one goldfish.

I would suggest you research some fish types that you like so you can find some that better suit your tanks, to avoid fishy deaths and suffering.

Your tank is beautiful, I wish I had a green thumb for aquarium plants! Sorry for the bad news about your over stock.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is that the real color of your blue gourami, ITS GLOWING!!
Sorry to say but your tank is too overstocked, I'm not telling you what to do but I would take back the goldies and the black ghost. And then spread the fish out over the two tanks.
How long has your tropical fish been in the tank?

andy longhurst

What classes a tank as over stocked? I understand that fish grow and the tanks will get upgraded accordingly. All fish have been there for 2 months with no sign of stress and all the levels for lack of a better word are perfect (I do daily checks. I'm quite obsessive with water quality). I've also had goldfish on and off for over 20 years and ive never seen 1 get that big (in a tank). In a small tank and well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches. As they are only about an inch is size they are fine where they are (for now).

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great looking tank. Your plant arrangement looks fabulous.

andy longhurst

its just tropical fish I'm new at.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like the way your tank looks!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
andy longhurst said:
What classes a tank as over stocked? I understand that fish grow and the tanks will get upgraded accordingly. All fish have been there for 2 months with no sign of stress and all the levels for lack of a better word are perfect (I do daily checks. I'm quite obsessive with water quality). I've also had goldfish on and off for over 20 years and ive never seen 1 get that big (in a tank). In a small tank and well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches. As they are only about an inch is size they are fine where they are (for now).
Fish can't cry or frown. A normal sized person can fit in a bathroom, does that mean they should live in one for their whole lives?

Gold fish can grow to be 12" or more, their size can be stunted by not enough grow room and their organs will continue growing and their skeletons will become deformed, just because you can't SEE something with your eyes doesn't mean that it isnt happening.

Just because a cat will fit into a cat carrier and not die doesn't mean we should keep them in them for their whole lives. There is a diffrence beween surviving and thriving.

andy longhurst

Firstly kupcake if you read the post before quoting it you would of read that tanks will get upgraded accordingly. Secondly you would of read i've had gold on and off for over 20 years so I would like to think I know a bit about them. As this thread is not about goldfish lets stop talking about them.

Anyway rather than losing some fish the tropical tank needs to be upgraded. So what size should I be looking for there's a nice 180L tank at my local fish shop or would u suggest bigger?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
andy longhurst said:
Firstly kupcake if you read the post before quoting it you would of read that tanks will get upgraded accordingly. Secondly you would of read i've had gold on and off for over 20 years so I would like to think I know a bit about them. As this thread is not about goldfish lets stop talking about them.
You asked what was considered over stocked, I was just using goldfish as an example, especially since you said they only grow to 4", when if properly cared for they grow to 12" and more. I am sorry, I did not mean to offend you.

GL on your upgrades, and again I am sorry.

andy longhurst

In a small tank is what I said. In a large tank or pond they will grow large.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anyway rather than losing some fish the tropical tank needs to be upgraded. So what size should I be looking for there's a nice 180L tank at my local fish shop or would u suggest bigger?
180L wouldn't be able to fit the ghost knife. And even if you did get that tank the angels (when the grow bigger) will probably eat the neons. So if you got rid of the knife and neons it should be fine. Also I would watch the Gourami's for aggressive behavior.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the 180L tank would be plenty, with some decos and rocks and driftwood... EXCEPT for the black ghost. They need a minimum of a 48" (4 foot/ 120cm) WHEN SMALL. This size will have to be upgraded to about a 6-8 foot minimum to be able to grow, as they grow to about 40cm in an aquarium.
Sorry about the different measurements.

And you will have to continue to observe to gouramis if they are both males to see if they are being aggressive toward each other. Remember to have places to hide for the fish.

Hope all goes well
Ranga

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Beautiful tank! Thanks for sharing the photo!

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The goldfish do get stunted in a tank, and all have the capacity to get to 12" or more, they don't grow up in smaller tanks as they don't have the room, but sadly, their internal organs will keep growing, regardless of their outer size :'(. They can also live about 20 years in a pond or large tank (I never knew this until I came here actually lol, it's amazing how much I have learnt in only a few months on the site!!).

Saying that, I LOVE what you have done with your 60l!!

A tip for you for the tropicals though: On the fishlore home page, there will be links to all fish species (on the right I think), this is their care sheet when you click on it. It tells you minimum tank size and requirements, great for a bit of research before you buy/upgrade tanks accordingly (can save lots of time and expense too!). If you get the larger tank, I'd love to see pics, the aquascaping will be fabulous like the 60l I'm sure.
I'm envious of anyone with an eye for planted tanks by the way :;a

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
andy longhurst said:
HI all,

This is my first tropical tank and its been up and running for 2 months. Just thought I would get your opinions.

I have the following fish:

1 x Blue GouramI - Top Left
1 x Honey GouramI - Top Left
12 x Neons - Bottom Left
2 x Angles - Right
1 x Black Ghost knife that lives in the coconut
2 x Zebra Snails
6 x Plants - not sure what they are

hey u got a beautiful tank , just a quick question how long u had your honey gournamI for I want to keep 2 of them I'm my tank as well, but have heard so many bad stuff abt them like they don't live long and prone to many diseases
so what's ur say on dat?

dee

andy longhurst

My gouramI are both female. I never knew the knife can get that big. My fish right now are very friendly. Every time I sit by the take they come over and say hello probably looking for food no doubt. The only thing my angles arnt sure about are the snails but they went in after.

About 2 months. I got the gouramI and angles from the same tank

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So
do your angels want to eat the snails? Or are they scared of them?
I wish I had a large enough tank for a black ghost.

When do you think you will be getting the 180L?
Just curious.

Rangaaa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads