My fishkeeping perspectives through time

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thought it might be fun to do a gallery of the evolution of my tank(s) through time. I started here almost at the same time as I started into the hobby. I have gone from plastic ornaments to a high tech dirted tank since then and in large part it is due to my membership in this forum. Well that, and a complete obsession with the hobby once I discovered the planted side.

To start off, here is my old 55 gallon when I first got it in January of 2015:

DSC_0083.JPG

Have to love the black gravel mixed with stones from Michael's, red manacala, and plastic volcano.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From there, I began to realize that I might like things a bit more natural looking. As you can see, it took a while to fully realize what more natural might look like:
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0199.JPG

At this point, I had not yet caught the plant bug. It seemed difficult, something that I didn't think I could do. I had finally moved on to real driftwood and I think I had tried 1 or 2 real plants with little success.
For those of you that are sitting at that point, fear not, plants do not have to be difficult and I would never go back now that I know better.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is where I finally started trying my hand at plants in genuine. Also when I finally swapped to sand. Best decision, I will not ever be going back to gravel!
The last picture is actually a picture I took at the New England Aquarium. After I saw it i knew that I wanted to become better at plants. I think this is where I actually started to become more obsessed with plants than fish. Where as before I researched fish in my spare time, learned all sorts of Latin names, etc. Now, I research plants all of the time. I know the Latin names for many of the aquatic plants out there and have forgotten almost all of the fish' latin names!
On a side note, I firmly believe that some plants will just not grow for some people no matter how perfect the conditions are. That Bacopa completely died on me and any time after that trying it has led to failure. If you can grow more difficult plants no problem and one of the "easier" ones does not work for you, it may just be that plant has it out for you.
DSC_0233.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0545.JPG

Fishymom64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice!

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Beautiful tanks! I really like the planted ones, great job

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome progression. I did it exactly how you did it. Close to 3 years ago i got a few fake plants and wanted the real look and got live plants and driftwood and never looked back. This is an inspiring thread i may need to show my 55 2.5 years ago with ugly gravel and plants that shouldn't have been in an aquarium! Thanks Petco ;)

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kallililly1973 said:
Awesome progression. I did it exactly how you did it. Close to 3 years ago i got a few fake plants and wanted the real look and got live plants and driftwood and never looked back. This is an inspiring thread i may need to show my 55 2.5 years ago with ugly gravel and plants that shouldn't have been in an aquarium! Thanks Petco ;)
You should do it, I'll be sure to check it out!

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's all for updates today.
Thank you so much for the commentary and likes everyone. Tomorrow I will be getting into the better stuff; adventures into dirt, the first time I had flowering, my first rare plant. Maybe more, possibly less.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WetRootsNH said:
You should do it, I'll be sure to check it out!
I absolutely will do it soon. Amazing idea!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom