My fish

AquaDuk

Reaction score
Is my fish okay? My female zebra danio is staying near the top of the 10gallon tank and is moving around slowly. What's wrong with it?

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long have the fish been in the tank? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a filter and heater running? Many health issues for fish can be traced back to water quality. If this is a new tank, which from your post in the welcome section sounds like it is, then it is very likely that levels of ammonia and/or nitrite are building in your water. If so, this situation can eventually kill the fish. If you have a water quality test kit, you can quickly determine for sure if that is the problem. If you do not have a kit, I would highly recommend you get one. In the meantime, if your fish are starting to act funny for no apparant reason, water quality is the likely culprit. You should do a 50% water change, but be sure to get the temperature of the fresh water you are putting in as close to the temp of the existing tank water as you can. Also, be sure to treat the new water for chlorine.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think sgould has it and a good water change would be in order, especially if all your fish are trying to be near the surface. Clean your tank of any dead/dying plant material and food/poop in the gravel.

The API kit is good, we use it, and it's on sale at the DFS site right now.

AquaDuk

Reaction score
Treat the tank for chlorine?
Anyway...how do I change the water?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
https://www.fishlore.com/Maintenance.htm
This should give you pretty good instructions.
Make sure the container you use to add the water has NEVER had any cleaning chemicals in it.
If you use municipal water, (don't have a well on your property), did you add a dechlorinator like amquel? If not, that's probably the problem.
(BTW, there are good posts to your other thread, check them out for more info)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaDuk said:
Treat the tank for chlorine?
Anyway...how do I change the water?
You'll definitely want a product like AquaSafe or NovAqua+ to add to your water if you haven't been doing that.. the chlorine and other things in our tap water are toxic to fish and those products make it fish-safe.

The link sirdarksol posted should give you good info on water changes and how often to do them. After reading that over, if you have any questions remaining about water changes, we'd be glad to try answering them.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
You'll definitely want a product like AquaSafe or NovAqua+ to add to your water if you haven't been doing that.. the chlorine and other things in our tap water are toxic to fish and those products make it fish-safe.
AquaSafe and NovAqua+ (and the others of that nature) will only remove the chlorine from the water. If you have chloramine in your tap water (more and more cites are using this instead of regular chlorine) then you have a little different problem. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. The only thing that those products will do is break apart the bond between those 2 chemicals and then get rid of the chlorine. The problem is that this leaves the ammonia alone which is bad for your fish as well. Yes an established tank can handle a little extra ammonia fairly quickly but there is a better way to deal with it. Rather then using AquaSafe or NovAqua+, use instead or . These products will remove the chlorine and break the bond of chloramines, however, they then go to the next step and take the ammonia and change it to a non-toxic version which can still be used as a part of the tank cycling process. They also do the same for nitrite and even nitrate making them much more bang for your spending dollar. Even if you don't have chloramines in your tap water, you are still doing your tank a better service using one of these treatment products over AquaSafe or NovAqua+ alone (and yes they can be used together with Amquel+ or Prime but aren't necessary).

AquaDuk

Reaction score
AquaSafe? NovAqua+? Amquel+? Prime? I'm sorry, but I've never heard of these. The only thing I have is Cycle, which the person at Petco told me to use if I wanted to get the chlorine out of tap water. So I removed 3 gallons by the vacuum tube, and I replaced it with 3 gallons with Cycle in it. How long will it take for the ammonia levels to go down? Also, which test kit should I buy?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaDuk said:
AquaSafe? NovAqua+? Amquel+? Prime? I'm sorry, but I've never heard of these. The only thing I have is Cycle, which the person at Petco told me to use if I wanted to get the chlorine out of tap water. So I removed 3 gallons by the vacuum tube, and I replaced it with 3 gallons with Cycle in it. How long will it take for the ammonia levels to go down? Also, which test kit should I buy?
As far as I know, Cycle doesn't do anything to make tap water safe - it's supposed to help accelerate the nitrogen cycle, but a lot of people tell me it only creates mini-cycles that don't really help your tank.

Those 4 products are conditioners. We were using AquaSafe but are going to change to AmQuel+ now to treat our tap water - having tried it out, we find it to be better than Aquasafe. - you can look at the products here & read about them. The Amquel+ is on sale now. You can use any of them, but Luniyn is right about amquel+. we've heard a lot of good about prime, but haven't tried it out yet since we couldn't find it locally, but now are going to be ordering from the DFS website. We sometimes add the NovAqua+ to the tank, but don't use it as a tap water conditioner although it can be. Basically, you have a LOT of products out there to treat tap water and/or do more. As we learn about the products, we make better choices in what we use. I'd suggest reading the product descriptions at that link as well as finding out what the more experienced members here use so you can get your water fish-happy. That's how I found out we were wasting money on Cycle.

- we use this kit, which is also on sale now.

AquaDuk

Reaction score
The things at the link at the bottom of FLBettaCouple's has really good products. But I'm not sure if I should order them. Is there anything at stores that would help my water's Ammonia and pH and kH levels?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go to your pet store, they should have a shelf with products like Amquel+, Prime, or Safe Guard by King British. Any of these products will work to get rid of the chlorine and make the ammonia safe for the fish. And as FLBettaCouple posted, Cycle won't do anything to help your tap water be free of chlorine. In fact putting cycle in tap water that hasn't been treated by a chlorine removing product will actually kill the good bacteria that Cycle is trying to add.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaDuk said:
The things at the link at the bottom of FLBettaCouple's has really good products. But I'm not sure if I should order them. Is there anything at stores that would help my water's Ammonia and pH and kH levels?
Actually, we're going to use a product called Prime, not Amquel+, now to condition our water. It should be on that page I sent you the link to. A lot of those products can be found at a local store, but usually the local stores are more expensive than the DFS site on a lot of items.
Amquel+ or Prime help with the ammonia, but you'll still want to track down the source of the ammonia. Many products are around for pH adjustment from drops like pH Up & pH Down to fizzy tablets that are supposed to bring the pH to 7, but the main thing with pH is to keep it STABLE - up & down pH is often harder on a fish than pH that is high or low. I have seen a few products that will soften your water at the stores as well here, so I hope you can find them at your local stores.

AquaDuk

Reaction score
Okay...but now my Ammonia levels have gone down. But now my nitrite levels are really high, in the danger zone, so I bought this medicine called "Easy Balance" that is supposed to control the pH levels and the nitrite levels, eventually.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
AquaDuk said:
Okay...but now my Ammonia levels have gone down. But now my nitrite levels are really high, in the danger zone, so I bought this medicine called "Easy Balance" that is supposed to control the pH levels and the nitrite levels, eventually.
Good! Lowering the ammonia is great, next challenge is getting the Nitrite down. As you keep up the water changes with water that has been treated to remove the chlorine, the cycle will finish and your tank will be safe for your fish :) I know it is soooo hard to wait to get more fish (I am impatient) but they will be far healthier if you wait till you get the nitrites down.

Congrats again on the ammonia down and best of luck!

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
AquaDuk said:
Actually Easy Balance controls the nitrAte not the nitrIte. The only thing that controls the nitrite is good bacteria. You can detoxify the nitrite with Amquel+ or Prime, but Easy Balance isn't helping you at the moment except with pH. As suggested the only thing to help get the nitrite out of the danger area for your fish right now is water changes. Adding Amquel+ or Prime will detoxify it but you still need to help get rid of it while the good bacteria are building up enough to eat it at the rate it is produced.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom