My fish was suicidal

PhaseDMA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So one of my worst fears happened today. I was cleaning my tank, and one of my fish got far to curious for his own good.

I was cleaning my tank, and one of my albino cory fish got far to close to my python siphon. To say the least I expected the worst.

I checked every inch of the 50 feet of tube. No fish. Poor thing must have gone right down the drain. To make matters worse the end of the siphon is not fully open, so on top of getting crushed through the tube he must have had one very nasty last blow going through the end. I must have checked the tube for 3 minutes. I mean it's not like looking for a fish is rocket science.

But wait...

I finally give up and go back to finish cleaning the tank and there he is... Sitting right below the siphon (which has long stopped sucking). The poor thing is clearly beat up and from first inspection I couldn't tell if he was fully alive, half alive, or half dead.

Well it didn't much matter - I had to finish cleaning the tank, so I tried to scoot him away from the siphon. At first he didn't want to move (go figure), but he was alive, and did after a bit more scooting actually take off across the tank.

So I finished cleaning the tank.

Now the rest of my tank was kind of freaking out. I took the water line down to about 1/2 which I normally don't do. After any cleaning my fish go from unhappy (dull color) to very happy when it is finished (bright color). The same happened this time despite clearly being more worked up then normal.

So the state of the tank after the cleaning was happy. My poor cory? He was chilling with his two buddies. Right now he is chilling with my 3 False JuliI cory.

Anyways... He is clearly beat up. I would say roughly half of one side of his body is bruised, and about 1/4th of his other side. I wouldn't say he is content, but I imagine he is right now more content then I would be in his shoes. He may, or may not be breathing more rapidly then normal (as compared to my 5 other cory fish in the tank). Its hard to tell if he is staying in one place more then normal (cory I'm learned can be very random in their movement).

I put in a algae wafer for him/them (When my fish are in distress I *think* food helps calm them). He is eating, but not much - But the JuliI don't seem much interested at the moment in the food so I wouldn't rule out my injured cory simply not being very hungry.

So any ideas to help this poor guy? Either short, or long term? If I had to bet if he would live I would put the money on him to live. If I had to bet about his long term life from here on out? I have no idea. Has his life just be cut in half? I wouldn't be shocked, but I do think in the short to mid term he is going to live, and that's if I take zero action from here on out.

Now just to be clear. I'm taking this very serious. From day one based on what I have read about cory not being afraid of the siphon, coupled with their small size I have been paranoid about this, and I would like to think I'm careful when cleaning the tank. Do I think I was careless at the moment he got sucked up? No I don't. Sadly short of taking the siphon out I don't think I could have prevented this, and short of being sucked up I don't think I could have discouraged him - Heck I'm not even sure getting sucked up discouraged him very much.

The primary takeaway from this for me is simple. I got lucky.

So ideas. Thoughts. Whatever. I'd like to hear them.

iloveengl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww, poor cory dude. I'd add garlic and vitachem to help boost his immune system.

I never considered the issue of pythons sucking up critters until I read about it in an old, old thread a couple days ago. Freaked me out for sure.

My solution: Get your python going just like normal and put the tube in the water. Once there's suction, wrap a new, unwashed pantyhose foot over the suction tube and tie it off at the top - no need to knot it tight since you'll want to remove it later, just enough to keep it on there.

It works perfectly to suck up the water, but keeps even the smallest fry from getting sucked down the drain. The key is putting the pantyhose on while the tube is in the water, otherwise the pantyhose blocks the suction and makes it difficult to get the suction started.

When the tank is almost done, I remove the pantyhose (again with the nozzle still in the water) and remove any debris by hand. Since your right there and paying attention, it's little risk of sucking up a fishy.

Then I flip the thingy and pour the clean water back in.

You have to get your hands a little wet, but it's worth the peace of mind when you need to wander off and do other things during the draining, especially for a larger tank that takes forever to drain.

Edit: In the first two pics in this link (), you actually see my pantyhose covered python nozzle busy doing its thing, while the fishies swim right next to it. No worries. I hang up the pantyhose once I'm done with my tank and let it dry out to use for next time.

OP
P

PhaseDMA

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
iloveengl said:
Aww, poor cory dude. I'd add garlic and vitachem to help boost his immune system.

My solution: Get your python going just like normal and put the tube in the water. Once there's suction, wrap a new, unwashed pantyhose foot over the suction tube and tie it off at the top - no need to knot it tight since you'll want to remove it later, just enough to keep it on there.
Then I flip the thingy and pour the clean water back in.

You have to get your hands a little wet, but it's worth the peace of mind when you need to wander off and do other things during the draining, especially for a larger tank that takes forever to drain.
Garlic huh? What isn't that stuff good for? Lol

Pantyhose is a great idea. Thanks!

And getting my hands wet I have always figured was just part of the business of cleaning the tank so that isn't a issue.

You have been most helpful thanks!

I'm more then content to figure this out of my own, but I might as well ask - How much garlic should I put in a 90 gallon tank?

iloveengl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd just soak their food in it. That way you know they're directly ingesting it. Maybe soak some frozen blood worms in it. Irresistible! I can't imagine how many jars of garlic juice it would take if you put it straight into the tank water. Not to mention the lovely aroma.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom