My fish turned into two face

1. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey guys. So my fish were fine last night. I tested the water this morning and it's also fine. No other fish are showing signs of stress or illness so I'm thinking injury. But wanted to get your opinions.

I've been seeing some light aggression between my 2 dorsigeras but nothing more than shooing each other away. This morning the younger one is all but dead. I moved her to my 5 gallon but I don't think she's going to make it. One side of her face is completely black and she's just laying there. I'm guessing her and the older one had it out last night and she got the worst end of it. But I wanted to make sure there wasn't some fishy-2face worm or black- face-itis I wasn't aware of. Thanks guys

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Oh dear, I am sorry that happened. Are you treating it with something? I have no suggestions, other than clean water. Keep us posted on how the fish is doing and I will keep my fingers crossed for a recovery. Alison

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks. Nothing has changed. She's struggling and just laying against the driftwood

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I'd suggest using melafix and aquarium salt, maybe lesson the recommended amount of salt. I'm so sorry, hope they get feeling better.:)

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

it's looking more and more like an injury. It seems she has a little bit of damage on her back as well. She's stil hanging on but not improving

6. Geoff Well Known Member Member

How is she doing today? Getting any better?

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

She's moving around pretty well now so I think she's improving but her face is still pretty gruesome. I wish I knew for sure it's an injury. But I don't really know anything else it can be.

8. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Hopefully she continues to improve. It almost looks like a bruise. (Do fish bruise?) We'll just call it a beauty mark for now haha. Poor girl.

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

There is a condition where the nerves that control the melanophores become damaged. The melanophores are the cells that contain the pigment melanin, which expand and contract to make black colour come and go. The damage is usually localised and results in a black area, often on the head.

There's nothing you can do about it. Some fish die because of it, but some are seemingly unaffected by it and carry on as normal. It's believed that some kind of infection, possibly bacterial, is often the cause.

Physical damage could also be a cause, I don't know.

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow interesting...If it's bacterial should I worry this could happen to the other fish? Any treatment?

Thanks for the education hampalong

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It isnt contagious, so I wouldn't worry about the other fish. I've just looked it up in the Tropical Fishlopaedia (Dr Peter Burgess, renowned fish health scientist), and it can be caused by a burn, injury, localised bacterial infection (eg an abcess) or a tumour (with a tumour you would see a distortion to the shape of the fish).

You could try a bacterial treatment but afaik it's incurable, but I believe it can be temporary.

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you! It's good to know it's not contagious. I moved her last night to the new 75 gallon so she has a 75 gallon to herself with 2 hoplo catfish. The spare 5 gallon I had her in she didn't seem to be liking it. She stayed hidden in the driftwood last night when I put her in the 75 but this morning she was exploring the tank. She still has her scary face on but seems to at least be moving around.

14. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Will she still looks like she is running for the mayor of the nightmare before Christmas but she's a lot more active and sends to be liking the 75

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Wow, Two Face really is a good name for her.

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks pretty cool, tbh.

17. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Just to give everyone an update.

My dorsigera has recovered fully. Her face appears normal and she has resumed her normal activity level.

Thanks again for all the help guys