My Fish Tanks

slakey
Well here's are my fish tanks and the fish living in them

Enjoy
The bigger tank still has 2 pieces of mopanI wood to go in yet. (Currently being boiled)

COBettaCouple
Beautiful fish.. are you planning to move the guppies to the larger tank when it's cycled? do you have a home for the pleco (he looks like a common pleco)?

slakey
the guppies are in the larger tank now to cycle it, so far it's 4 weeks in cycling so added them to speed it up.

and the pleco is a ancintrus? that only grow to 5.5inches max

but if he/she does outgrow the tank, then I'll take him/her back to the store.

slakey
Water Test Results for the 125:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25 - 0.50
Nitrite: 2.0 - 5.0
Nitrate: 40 - 80

How can I get down my Nitrite and Nitrate?
It tells me in the book to get API Nitra-Zorb. If I do get this, where does it go in my filter?

jsalemi
The tank isn't cycled; you should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites when it is. The best way to reduce nitrates (and at this point, the other two) is frequent 20-25% water changes (every day or every other day) until the nitrates are down below 20.

Nitra-Zorb would be a short-term fix, and yes, it goes into your filter. But frequent water changes are your best course of action.

Butterfly
You could also add live plants to use the Nitrates
Carol

slakey
I currently have five live plants, and 2 days ago done pretty much a full water change, only had a few inches of water left.

but I will do a 25% water change tomorrow.

COBettaCouple
25-50% would be the amount to change at once. Every couple days. At those levels, fish aren't likely to last too long and will be damaged if they do. If you can get a water conditioner called "Prime" or "Amquel+", those can help protect the fish somewhat from the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

slakey
any idea of where I could get some from?

slakey
All the fish look fine, not signs of them getting affected. No heavy breathing or gasping for air.

What signs should I look out for?

Some pictures of the lil pleco

And one of my male guppies

Now going to put in the mopanI pieces.

slakey
Here's what the tank looks like with the mopanI wood in.

COBettaCouple
You might post a thread in the general forum to get input from other members in the UK on where to find Prime or Amquel+ there. You could also order online from websites like:

any idea of where I could get some from?

Signs of distress from water conditions could be heavy breathing, gill discoloration or illnesses.

slakey
thanks COBettaCouple, I think my LFS has some of the Seachem Prime stuff, so I shall go there when they're open.

COBettaCouple
Sounds good. Oh.. but you're a Tottenham supporter, I take it?

thanks COBettaCouple, I think my LFS has some of the Seachem Prime stuff, so I shall go there when they're open.

slakey
yeah I'm a Tottenham supporter

Dino
Is the plant on the right side of the last picture in post 11, fake or real.

If it is a live plant, it is not a true aqautic, but a bog plant.
It will probably rot in less than 6 months.

COBettaCouple
I'm a bit partial to Wigan myself. I hope the new manager can get them going and avoid relegation.
yeah I'm a Tottenham supporter

slakey
Dino if you mean the one against the filter, I have been told that it's a house plant.
Strange as I got it from a fish store. :/ What could I replace it with?

COBettaCouple - bad loss for Tottenham Hotspur today Ref was biast though.
Since you live in Denver, do you support the Denver Nuggets basketball team?

COBettaCouple
Yes, I pull for the Denver Nuggets in basketball.

slakey
Atleast we support one team

DN my basketball team (Y)

slakey
ok I bought some Sechem Prime today and I done a Water Tests before putting the Prime into the tank

I still have high results, but hopefully the Seachem Prime will sort that out

COBettaCouple
Just keep up with frequent water changes of about 25% every other day and you'll be protecting the fish with the Prime.

slakey
Ok will do

slakey
Just done a 25% water change and put in Filter Aid, AquaSafe and Prime.

I'm going to try and buy a air pump this week hopefully before I put in any EasyBalance.

But I have had no losses yet, and the Nitrate and Nitrite are still highish.
The Ammonia has dropped though

Also what plant would you suggest to replace the one next to the filter. The green and white plant, as people say it's a house plant.

slakey
Well long time no update so here it goes:

I bought a Hydor Ario 3, NitrateMinus, Stress Zyme and some AntI Fungus and Finrot.

All seems to be well at the minute

The 1st batch of guppy babies are coming along nicely, I think they are all female

What age/size can you tell their gender?

Picture without the air pump on:

Picture with air pump on:

The air pump is really strong, and the filter waves push it against the left side panel of the glass, so it goes around the whole tank...

I may re-position it so it sticks to the filter, or next to the filter so the bubbles cover the filter nose or on the right side panel of the glass.

Looking to buy a new camera, I currently have £270. It will be for work use *nursery assistant*, fish pics, dog pics, etc etc.

Suggestions?

COBettaCouple
You'll have to watch for the tails starting to get color, then they should be old enough to sex.

slakey
hmm they all have colours on their tails and one or two have got the green/cyan body colour too when the light hits them

think they're all females, or does it take longer for the long fins/tails to grow?

COBettaCouple
They all have the fan-shaped analfin? They sound like males. Do you have a picture of them to post?

slakey
I could try and get a picture of them, won't be easy though...

COBettaCouple
Ok. They're definitely old enough to be seperated and may have already bred if you have both genders.
I could try and get a picture of them, won't be easy though...

slakey
well here's my best attempts lol. they wouldn't keep still:

1:

2:

3:

COBettaCouple
hmm.. yea, hard to tell - they are quick little buggers. None of them have a gonopodium though?

slakey
and that is? lol

ooo I was very tempted to get 4 Black Cory's today and either a albino rainbow shark, trio of angels or some dwarf cinnamon gourami's.

COBettaCouple
At the bottom of that link is a picture to help determine gender.

slakey
yeah, I've been looking at that and some have what the male in the picture has.

The two lil pointy bits.

COBettaCouple
ok, well if you don't want fry, separate the males & females straight away. They get right to breeding as soon as they can.

slakey
ok will try lol.

What'd you choose out of Angels, Dwarf Goruamis or Albino Rainbow Shark?

COBettaCouple
Angels.
ok will try lol.

What'd you choose out of Angels, Dwarf Goruamis or Albino Rainbow Shark?

slakey
Ok do you think I'd be able to fit a trio in?

COBettaCouple
In your 39g? I think 3 could fit in it, but might be best to just have a pair due to territory issues.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaDaBetta
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
MJDuti
Replies
Views