20 Gallon Tank My fish tank water keeps turning green

je0409

My fish tank water keeps turning green. Everything I read says it's either caused by too much light or too much nutrients. I just have the light that came installed on the lid with my TopFin 20 gallon set and I keep it on about 6 hrs a day. I don't think this is the problem considering I feel like the light is not very strong and I used to keep it on for much longer. The tank is stocked with a male betta, three mystery snails, and two nerite snails. My betta gets fed a small pinch of food once a day with one fasting day every week to prevent bloat. My snails get fed blanched vegetables every few days. I have an anubias attatched to driftwood, an amazon sword, three small moss balls, and three other plants that I honestly don't remember the name of. Besides that, the only other things I have in my tank is one decoration and 1/3 of a piece of cuttlebone. I keep doing large water changes and by the next day the water has a green tint, and in two days the water is completely green again. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this and what the cause might be? It's causing some problems with my plants because they're not getting any fertilizer or enough light because I'm trying so hard to get rid of the green water :/

Seasoldier

Hi, what kind of filtration are you running? you might want to try a filter with a UV light fitted they work well against free floating algae.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I've had good luck controlling green water by limiting light to around 6 hours per day and adding as many live plants as I had available, even if it's just cuttings tossed in to float. The plants absorb nutrients that would otherwise be used by the algae, and essentially starve it.

Upvote 0

egleason16

My fish tank water keeps turning green. Everything I read says it's either caused by too much light or too much nutrients. I just have the light that came installed on the lid with my TopFin 20 gallon set and I keep it on about 6 hrs a day. I don't think this is the problem considering I feel like the light is not very strong and I used to keep it on for much longer. The tank is stocked with a male betta, three mystery snails, and two nerite snails. My betta gets fed a small pinch of food once a day with one fasting day every week to prevent bloat. My snails get fed blanched vegetables every few days. I have an anubias attatched to driftwood, an amazon sword, three small moss balls, and three other plants that I honestly don't remember the name of. Besides that, the only other things I have in my tank is one decoration and 1/3 of a piece of cuttlebone. I keep doing large water changes and by the next day the water has a green tint, and in two days the water is completely green again. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this and what the cause might be? It's causing some problems with my plants because they're not getting any fertilizer or enough light because I'm trying so hard to get rid of the green water :/
I had the same problem with green water, and API’s algaefix was the answer for me! It worked in the same day.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • MrPotatoPuffer
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
  • Chewbacca773
  • Algae
Replies