My fish tank needs moving, is this possible? Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishyluv, Apr 21, 2012.

1. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

So here is the deal.I set up this 30 gal 6 wks ago,(it has been cycled for 4 wks). I didnt know at the time of setting this up that it would be the wrong place. I need it moved so i can put my 125 gal where the 30 gal is. I have the 30 gal on a well built wood stand that my husband made. It is made out of 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4's. I was wondering if it would be possible to do a 75% wc and gently slide the cabinet with the tank out of the way. Not pick the tank up,just leave it on the cabinet and slide all together. Just a few feet. It has carpet sliders on the cabinet. Do you think it would be safe to slide my tank if done really slowly and easy?

2. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

It would be better to take all the fish out and put them in buckets. Then take out as much water as you possible can, then slowly slide the stank. Make sure when you slide it, you push on the BOTTOM of the stank, not the top.

That should work out all right!

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, water is HEAVY, it weighs in at a startling 8.34 pounds per gallon, so combine your 250 pounds of water with your most likely 50+ pounds of substrate and thats a lot lol, even if you do a 50% change your still only talking the stand plus 175 pounds on top of it.

4. F

Fish Monger Valued Member Member

If it moves smoothly without the water sloshing around a lot, give it a shot. Try using a very slow, steady motion rather than stop and go. Otherwise, Dlondon95's advice is very good. I would just add that you might try to provide equal force to the top and bottom of the stand to avoid stress and sway. JMO

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

G'day - I have moved your thread to the General Discussion forum for better visibility Cheers, Ryan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice