My Fish Tank Is Cloudy, Is This Okay?

1. joey ray

joey ray New Member Member

So from like early morning yesterday my fish tank was starting to get cloudy and got cloudier as the day went on. I sorta brushed this off cause i was going to clean his tank the next day (today). Fast forward to today i wake up and his tank is super cloudy and this some sorta film over the top of the water like if i dropped something in it sorta makes like this smokey effect because of the film on the top. So i immediately did like about a 50% water change. Fast forward like 3ish hours later the film on the water is gone except for small dots and the water is still semi-cloudy. Is this okay? AM i just over reacting? I can't really give the parameters of the water cause ive only recently learned about such things so i only just ordered the test strips yesterday. The water is 78f and i dont have a heater just because the temp in the room stays constant so ive been told the water temp should stay constant. Ive just put in small amount of stress coat (1/4 tsp) though last saturday (the last time i did a water change) I put in 2 tsp cause i didnt realize that that amount was for 10 gal of water. I also put in about half a Tsp of aquarium salt last saturday though not this week cause ive been told its not necessary thought maybe that might be important to know. Also, the water change last Saturday was a 100% clean first one since i got him just because i wanted to clean out the entire tank. While i cant tell parameters i can tell the ammonia is 0 since i only have those test strips at the moment. I dont know if the cloudiness is normal and itll go away in a few days cause the tank a had him in previously (1 gal tank) got cloudy and wouldn't go away and i dont know if the same thing is happening. If anyone can just give like some guess at what happening or prediction since i can give all the water conditions at the moment would be very helpful.

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

How long has this tank been running exactly? If it's been 2 weeks or less, this is probably a bacteria bloom, which is a normal part of the aquarium cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    joey ray

ive had this tank for about a little under 4 weeks

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Okay. It might still be a bacteria bloom. But testing the water will be the only way to know for sure.

The test strips are not very accurate, and sometimes give a false reading. If you can get a liquid test kit in the future that would be most beneficial to you.

If you take a sample of your tank water to the pet store they should be able to test it for you for free. Just make sure you get the actual numbers from the test results. Your water isn't "perfect" and don't accept that answer if that's what the pet store tries to tell you. The result will be numbers, not "your water is fine".

5. OP
    OP
    joey ray

I see, ill see if i can make time to go to the pet store this week and test my water and get a test kit. Thanks for the advice